The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Original awnings

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
knottyknitter

Original awnings

Post by knottyknitter » Mon, 05 Feb 2007, 12:24 am

I would love to get hold of an awning for my Ansfold but appreciate that they must be like hens teeth. If anyone has one they don't need and want to sell please get in touch (highly optomistic I know).

Otherwise what are the options for attaching an awning. I'd like something quite spacious to allow for cooking. Has anyone used or adapted a newer awning or used one of those campervan type drive-aways?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Admin

Post by Admin » Mon, 05 Feb 2007, 9:49 pm

I do know of a couple of awnings that require a lot of attention, they're not useable as they are but they might be repairable or suitable for a template if you're handy with a sowing machine...

Also, i'm in the process of talking to a company that makes small awnings that might just sqeeze onto the back of a Portafold. I'll let you know on here what I find out.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Sat, 10 Feb 2007, 12:17 pm

That would be great. I can sew pretty well and my mum has an industrial sewing machine that could cope with canvas or thicker fabric. I wouldnt mind unpicking an awning and making a template/pattern - perhaps it would be useful to others as well and could be made available on the website. Let me know if this is possible as I would gladly collect. It would also be possible to take a pattern without dismantling it so I could return it intact if required.

I would also be very interested if a company was able to replictate the old awnings. Looking at the details and dimensions for the Ansfold porch tent they were quite roomy and just what we need.

Let me know.

All the best :D

paul~3

Awnings

Post by paul~3 » Wed, 14 Mar 2007, 6:33 pm

Hi Knotty. At some shows ive often seen Gazebos being used as an awning the type sold by ARGOS page 22. Some even add them onto the end of an old awning to make a very long tube of living space, bit off putting to Jo public though who want to look in your van... :oops:
See my portafolds here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26942080@N02/2521414758/

petman

Post by petman » Fri, 23 Mar 2007, 11:26 pm

as anyone got any info/pictures of awnings, both original or modern. My portafold is fitted with a "track" but I have no experience of awnings and how they fit. My wife owns a heavy duty sewing machine so if we had plans we could copy the original, if we could find a fabric supplier

Thanks
martin

txfsealord

Awning

Post by txfsealord » Sun, 03 Jun 2007, 8:49 pm

There is a small sketch of the awning, with dimensions, in the 2nd Ansfold sales brochure on this site.

Steve