The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Emulsion on inside of roof

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
RayH

Emulsion on inside of roof

Post by RayH » Wed, 07 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

Hi, I emulsioned the inside of the roof to spruce it up but I've now read that this can be a problem as condensation can cause it to flake. Is that true ?

If so, looks like I might have to go the Veltrim route.
Cheers,
Ray

Admin

Re: Emulsion on inside of roof

Post by Admin » Wed, 14 Nov 2012, 1:35 pm

Ray,

I don't know if I'd want to line the roof with veltrim. I've not done it myself but I'd be inclined to think it'll make the roof heavier, plus, if the glue looses adhesion you'll end up with sagging or droopy spots, which could be very difficult to rectify once the whole ceiling has been trimmed.

I'm in the process of getting a quote for having the ceiling flocked which might be an avenue for you to go down.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Fri, 16 Nov 2012, 7:51 pm

Hello Ray,

I agree with Mathew, paint on the roof will cause condensation and will probably eventually peel, I used a very thin foam backed car headling on mine (see post "First outing after rebuild") and have had no problems with it.
If you use something as thick as Veltrim you will have problems when you try to collapse the roof as there is very little space between it and the sides when fully closed, even the stuff I used had to be trimmed slightly at the edges to allow the roof to go down properly.

Regards, Fraser.

Ambubird

Post by Ambubird » Tue, 20 Nov 2012, 7:07 pm

We have veltrimed our roof with no problems. Haven't noticed any weight difference & the high heat adhesive is good up to 120C! Should be ok in our British summers!
The roof shuts down as well as it always did.
No condensation & really cosy.
Debbie