The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

All is revealed (well nearly)

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
DanBoy

All is revealed (well nearly)

Post by DanBoy » Tue, 15 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

I have now removed the roof of my porty to carry out the repairs necessary to the rather large cracks in the side and corners.

The cracks have been strengthened from behind. Whilst I am at it I have gone round and fibreglassed anywhere there was a hole, like the rear fins which had been drilled for the reflectors and I have also put a layer behind the handle holes. These will also have an aluminium strip fitted on the inside to spread the load.

This was the first time I have lifted the roof and I can already see more work lining up on the inside. The front wall has a split right along the bottom but, surprisingly, the hinges work alright. I haven't tried the side walls as yet but I have been spraying the hinges regularly. The end window has been replaced with a bit of perspex which has completely yellowed so that will need replacing as well. The quilting is still in tact but looks decidedly past it's sell-by date but that can wait until later.

More updates as work progresses............ :think:

bigbird

Re: All is revealed (well nearly)

Post by bigbird » Wed, 16 Mar 2011, 8:15 pm

Hi ya, just thought I'd import one of our past experiences. Check the wood that is under the roof clips at the front hasn't rotted. Ours looked fine from the underside, but we didn't realise that water had been seeping in from the top, the wood rotted and the clips collapsed one day when we were in the middle of putting her up!! :crazy:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Fri, 18 Mar 2011, 7:43 am

Thanks for that. Will check over the week-end. :thumbup:

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Thu, 14 Apr 2011, 9:07 am

Roof is now back on the porty although there are still a few bits of trimming to do. The main problem was the cracking which had been caused by the previous owner not tying the roof down and it blew off in the wind. Removing the roof revealed the damaged to the end wall which has now been repaired. It also revealed the perspex window which had yellowed. Some chrome polish has improved the situation but it will need replacing at some point.

Ned Smanks

Post by Ned Smanks » Fri, 15 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

Good work that man! :thumbup:

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Fri, 15 Apr 2011, 7:56 pm

Great job!! :clap:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Wed, 20 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

Well, despite having had a bit of heart surgery last week I have have had a go at lifting the side walls today (you've got to make the most of being off work). Both walls went up OK and the nearside one isn't too bad with regards to hinges. The offside wall does have five seized hinges, but as they are no longer attached to the side wall they didn't impede the erection :oops: I have been spraying them regularly and, indeed, the hinges do move with a bit of help from some pliers. It's just a shame that the wall is no longer attached to the base (not my doing, I hasten to add). :thumbdown: I have also taken the opportunity to remove all the cushions which don't look in too bad a condition but I only have two long and three short so may need to get hold of a few more. I have also found the awning that came with the van and, that too, seems OK although I do not intend to use it as I have a brand new freestanding motor home annexe in the shed. If my health holds up and I can find the time once I'm back at work next week I'll get cracking with the walls and interior. More photo's soon....... :P