The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

My MINI wheels don't fit? and one original Rubs?

Chat and Questions on Wheels, Tyres & Hubcaps.
txfsealord

Re: My MINI wheels don't fit? and one original Rubs?

Post by txfsealord » Thu, 24 Dec 2009, 6:20 pm

I'm sure many folk must have asked Bootrodder's question in the past - "Why not just fit wheel spacers?"

It's a question of loading. Caravans have a tendency to load their wheels, hubs & suspension generally to quite high levels - witness the improvement gained from the use of 8-ply tyres, which are almost never necessary on a passenger car. Most of the spacers offered for the Mini range are quite a slack fit over the studs, which means the studs are denied the support of a "collar" between the drum & wheel. Under certain circumstances this can allow the studs to flex, the wheel & spacer are then enabled to move relative to each other & to the drum. At best, this can make the wheelnuts come loose, & (just possibly) can also cause the studs or drum face to fracture. This doesn't happen on Minis used normally on the road, although it's not uncommon when they're used in competition.

This high axle loading on trailers & caravans is the reason the wheel bearings have to be so far apart, leading to the long hubs which are the reason we can't fit normal car hubcaps. A chicken & egg situation!

A Portafold or Ansfold, towed sensibly, which is well within its rated weight limit is very unlikely to suffer any of these things - there are lots of us out there with spacers & non-standard wheels I'm sure, who've never had any trouble from their fitment & use. If your 'van is on the heavy side, as mine is, & you enjoy chucking your combination round corners 'cos it handles so delightfully, like I do mine, then Beware! Very careful attention is then needed to the quality of wheel attachment to ensure reliability.

If using wheel spacers on any caravan, I would recommend they have solid bosses bored to a close fit over the studs, preferably made using a milling machine. This gives adequate support to the studs, & prevents them flexing.

Steve Lord

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Fri, 10 Dec 2010, 1:47 pm

Came across this and wondered if it might be useful.

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... page&id=56

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Fri, 10 Dec 2010, 1:53 pm

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 10 Dec 2010, 8:20 pm

I haven't had a chance to mention them yet but I do now have some brand new chromed steel hubcaps in stock. And they are beautiful! :thumbup:

(These are the deep dished ones for the long stub axles)

http://portafold.co.uk/parts_and_spares.html
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!