The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

What type of insurance?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
SEDDON

What type of insurance?

Post by SEDDON » Thu, 29 Jul 2010, 8:44 pm

Hello all, our Portafold is nearly ready to go on the road, I have looked at the different things about insuring it on the forum, I have also rang up a few others,
NFU want £150?? :thumbdown:

Another company was a great quote but never got back to me after talking to others, what everyone I spoke to seems to get stuck at is the fact that, if you wish to show it the odd times. What a performance of questions! Getting a vehicle insured is a doddle by comparison.

I suppose my main question is this, do you have to declare the fact you wish to show the portafold sometimes? or is it not important? They all seem to have a public liability built into the policy anyway, but will this cover things.

The towing show vehicle is not subject to anything extra, only a separate public liabilty though a club, this we have, but will not cover the portie, i have asked, I am now very confused as how to deal with it, advice greatly received.

thank you for looking

Maureen

Admin

Re: what type of insurance

Post by Admin » Thu, 29 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

Maureen,

Firstly, have you seen the insurance page on the main site? http://www.portafold.co.uk/insurance.html

A quick summary of what I have:

My cars are covered obviously fully comprehensive, any car cover also includes any trailer while it's attached to the vehicle.

I have additional caravan insurance to cover it whilst it is not attached to the towing vehicle. Mine is through the Caravan Club Insurance. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance- ... -insurance You need to join the club before you're eligible but membership of the club is £38 and obviously you gain by getting all the benefits of being a member. I think from memory my insurance is around the £50-£60 mark, but don't quote me on that. Plus, I have quite a few years no claims now so your quote might be higher due to it being a new policy and in a different postcode to me.

I also then have public liability insurance which costs the pricely sum of £3.50! This then covers me if I want to display it or my cars at shows. Let me know if you'd like details of that.

So between car, caravan and personal public liability insurance I'm fully covered.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

SEDDON

Post by SEDDON » Thu, 29 Jul 2010, 9:22 pm

Thank you Matthew,

All our vehicles are comprehensive, I understand what you say, the quote that never got back to me was the caravan & camping club, so what i will have to do is just ask for straight forward caravan insurance for when it's not attached. Don't want anyone else taking a fancy to it!

As for the public liabilty to show it, yes please to your offer of details, I will sort it out :D

thanks again,

Maureen

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 29 Jul 2010, 10:38 pm

I never contacted the Caravan & Camping Club I must admit. I started with The Caravan Club as they were the biggest and best known and they did turn out to give me the best quote all round.

The problem with getting a quote is two fold. Firstly, most insurance companies won't insure a caravan over 20 years old, that's quite common. Secondly, throw in the fact it's a folding caravan and that makes them run even further away. That's why I started compiling a list of companies that will actually give you a quote. It took me a while just to get those together.

Also, make sure you get all your contents insured plus awnings etc. And don't forget that the price you need to insure it for is the replacement value. How much would you have to pay to get another in the same condition? How much would the awning cost? How long would you have to wait before another Portafold came up for sale? It's not like a car where you can just flick through a copy of Auto Trader and find a replacement...

I've PM'd you the details of the liability insurance.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

SEDDON

Post by SEDDON » Thu, 05 Aug 2010, 2:18 pm

We're now insured with CARAVAN & CAMPING CLUB, clubcare insurance, £47.25.

£1000 market value for portie
£250 contents
£250 equipment

Plus £10 legal expenses.
Total cost £57.25 :thumbup:

Pleased that one's sorted out.

paul~3

Re: What type of insurance?

Post by paul~3 » Sat, 21 Aug 2010, 9:07 pm

But if you take your little palace to a show event i dont think you'll be covered for £5 millions worth of public indemnity insurance, so...

Turn up at the 'record' attempt and you can buy it for £3.50 for the year! Yes, the year! Bonus is, you'll meet new friends with Portafolds and many other types of classic caravans. Too late to apply now so just turn up, you'll be fine, and i promise that you won't be turned away. :thumbup:

From Paul~3
See my portafolds here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26942080@N02/2521414758/