The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Just bought this

Pictures of your Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel.
vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for all your assistance on this, I take it then that any Hillman Imp 12" wheel would fit any Portafold, does this have any adverse effect on the ride height, handling, rubbing on wheel arches etc.

Fraser.

txfsealord

12" wheels

Post by txfsealord » Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 4:24 pm

Hi Fraser,

I think you're right about all of those things, 'cept maybe handling......

Please note, I've not tried any of this, so it's only as far as I can deduce & I'm certainly not always right, as I've proved on here before!

I believe the 12" Imp rim would fit any Portafold, providing it had the original ride height. With age, the axle-mounting 'sinks' into the fibreglass base-panel (at least it does on Ansfolds) which reduces the amount of available suspension movement before the tyres wear the wheelarches away. The bigger rims would add 1"to the ride height, advantage to those whose towballs are too high/but not to those who can only just erect their vans in the garage......I can't see it would adversely affect handling. You have to find room for a bigger spare, if you carry one.

I think the suspension travel/wheelarch clearance is the likely stumbling block. On my Annie, even the 10" rims get a little closer to the arches than I'd prefer. My van's heavier than most, what with 1 1/2cwt of extra chassis, plus all that fitted gear.

I do agree, the 10" wheels look "lost" in our huge arches, but perhaps a screwed-on wheelarch to reduce the arch dia. would be a better cure for this.

Steve Lord

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sun, 29 Mar 2009, 9:07 pm

Hello Steve,

Thanks for that I think I will just stick to the way "Mr. Portafold" intended, keep the 10" wheels and see what happens when I start using the van this year it is always something I can experiment with in the future.

Will be starting the final coat of International paint this week so hopefully will be ready for the summer.

Regards, Fraser.

Keef

Post by Keef » Sat, 30 May 2009, 10:35 am

vauxhallbitz wrote:Are the 12" wheels Mini wheels? If so, are they from an early Mini or a Morris Minor?
Morris Minor use 14" not 12" wheels.

Morris 1100 (& 1300) have 12" though.
Keef - Dartford Kent UK
62 A40 Farina (Yoko)
65 VdP 1100 (JJ)
69 Austin Maxi (Wilma)
74 Austin Maxi (Kory)
79 Austin Maxi (Julie)
79 Austin Maxi (Kevin)
80 Austin Maxi (Mork)

451CDi

Post by 451CDi » Sun, 31 May 2009, 12:15 pm

Reliant Rebel wheels are 12"x3½"x4"pcd, slightly more rear offset than Imp wheels, I've had Rebels with Imp wheels on and they usually need a spacer on the rear hubs or they allow the tyres to rub on the springs under "spirited" cornering.
Imp wheels have slots around the centre, Rebel wheels are solid, and have the same three studs for nave plate fitting purposes as the larger 13" Regal/A35 wheels have.

8)
John

Mick&Jude

Hello

Post by Mick&Jude » Mon, 29 Jun 2009, 4:47 pm

Hi Michael,

Glad to see our old portafold is in good hands! Did you get the apache awning with it? We sold it Sept/Oct last year, and promptly bought a slightly newer one!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Cheers

:D
Mick and Jude

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat, 11 Jul 2009, 9:41 pm

Hi Mick & Jude, I've had a couple of good weekends away so far in the van and am looking forward to getting a cooker and sink fitted later in the year. I did not get an awning with the van and it has no rear fixing for an awning unless it was free standing. Anyway it is in pretty good nick for an early model and I'll be doing some repairs to the hinges and fibreglass edges over the winter months. Cheers Michael