The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

How do you take windows out. And how do you replace broken glass

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Donna1

How do you take windows out. And how do you replace broken glass

Post by Donna1 » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 12:27 pm

:wave:

Quantumsleeper

Re: How do you take windows out. And how do you replace broken glass

Post by Quantumsleeper » Sun, 08 Nov 2020, 5:54 pm

I see you've had no replies, so I'd like to attempt to help. I'm doing some restoration on my friends PF, and it's all folded at the moment, however, if you have a close-up photo of what's there I'll try to help because I have some knowledge of window fitting on various kit cars, and a lot of the principles will be the same. At least I may be able to point you in the right direction re parts?

Quantumsleeper

Post by Quantumsleeper » Tue, 05 Oct 2021, 9:19 pm

I've not had a detailed look at the other windows, however, I can give some guidance for the window in the door - this has what's called Claytonrite (sp?) rubber to fit it, as used on many classic cars. It is available in various sizes from classic car (and maybe caravan?) stockist, it is an H section with a 'filler strip' which fits in the groove on the outside. If you remove the filler strip it's then possible to remove the glass. To replace the glass, just attach new rubber to the glass, and with a piece of string around the circumference of the rubber between the rubber and GRP, which is pulled to flex it and put the rubber in place in the GRP - Adding a filler strip then stops it falling out. There may well be a video on Youtube showing how it's done on a car windscreen.

Admin

Post by Admin » Sun, 10 Jul 2022, 2:10 pm

I've not replaced any of the opening window glass, but I know of many people who have replaced the perished rubber by smearing black windscreen sealer into the void round the windows. That's not much good if you've got broken glass you need to replace though.

For the door window, that's much simpler. Unbolt the top section of the door, place it on something soft and padded on a workbench or kitchen worktop, use a blade to carefully cut the old window rubber from around the glass, then replace with:

https://www.portafold.co.uk/parts_and_s ... ubber.html

And possibly even:

https://www.portafold.co.uk/parts_and_s ... glass.html

If you use plenty of washing up liquid the rubber will slide in easily. I used the round end of the handle of a teaspoon to ease it all round. When you get to the join carefully trim off the excess rubber so the ends meet up nicely. Mine has not leaked a sniff since.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!