The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Rare Mini-Motel on eBay - NOW SOLD

Items now sold.
Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 21 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

I can now confirm that the YouTube film isn't actually a Mini-Motel.

Paul from Nottingham (who owns a Mini-Motel) has watched it and says that it's similar but not actually a Mini-Motel. There were a few different models being made at around the same time. Some were 4cwt, some were lighter at 3cwt, but he can't remember what they were called.

(I think that one of them might be the Sussex Twosome.)
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Admin

Re: Rare Mini-Motel on eBay

Post by Admin » Tue, 15 Jun 2010, 6:09 pm

I've had another detailed look at the YouTube video and there are a few differences in the video compared with the pictures we've got of Mini-Motels that still exist today:

Only one rear light on each side.
Wheel arches are different.
A frame is different size.
The hinges on the side walls are in a different position.

BUT, on the other side of things. I've got an article from 1960 which shows two pictures of the Sussex Twosome and there are more differences. Namely there are large lifting handles along each side, the side windows are split or sliding, there's an additional moulding in the rear panels either side of the door and again the wheel arch is different.

What this article also states is that in the last three months the Mini-Motel had been improved by Henleycraft with the removal of the wood framing and the plywood internal lining, and the addition of an all glass-fibre inner skin. Because of the addition of this more expensive material the cost had been put up to £268. This leaves us with a Mini-Motel mark 1 and mark 2. One with wood, one without.

I'm afraid the jury is still out on what model of caravan is in the YouTube video...
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!