The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Do I need spacers ?

Chat and Questions on Wheels, Tyres & Hubcaps.
minicab

Do I need spacers ?

Post by minicab » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 4:14 pm

Hello

I own a Portfold made 1974.
I am trying to change to aluminum rims "ultralite" but have a problem. When I tighten the wheel nuts, it is not possible to move the wheel. I need spacers? Anyone had the same problem and need to supplement with spacers?

Is there any spacers to portafold who fits ?

Kind Regards
Anders
Attachments
$_12.JPG
Kindly regards
Anders
--------------------------------------------------

Admin

Re: Do I need spacers ?

Post by Admin » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 6:04 pm

Any spacers designed for Mini's should be OK, but bear in mind, you'll need to extend the studs as well. You'll have to knock them out and replace with longer ones to ensure you have enough to screw your nuts on to.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

minicab

Post by minicab » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 11:35 pm

Thanks I need longer studs.

Regards
Anders
Kindly regards
Anders

Admin

Post by Admin » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 12:15 am

Do a mock up of how your wheel is going to be. Put some pretend spacers behind the wheel to space it out until you get a nice gap between the tyre and whatever it's rubbing on. Then you know how wide your spacers have to be, and how much longer your studs are going to be. From memory I think the studs are 3/8" studs, like Mini ones. So knock a stud out (put two nuts on one stud and hit them to knock the stud backwards out of the hub) and then measure it tip-to-tip and add on the size of the spacers you're going to use.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

minicab

Post by minicab » Sat, 08 Aug 2020, 10:48 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 12:15 am
Do a mock up of how your wheel is going to be. Put some pretend spacers behind the wheel to space it out until you get a nice gap between the tyre and whatever it's rubbing on. Then you know how wide your spacers have to be, and how much longer your studs are going to be. From memory I think the studs are 3/8" studs, like Mini ones. So knock a stud out (put two nuts on one stud and hit them to knock the stud backwards out of the hub) and then measure it tip-to-tip and add on the size of the spacers you're going to use.
Thanks for answer.

Yes I have measured how wide the spacers need to be. And I have now ordered spacers with longer studs.

When I remove the drum brakes, do I also need to remove the wheel bearings?

Do I need to buy new wheel bearings? Just in case if they need to be replaced?

Where do I buy some new wheelbearings for a Portafold yearmodel 1974?

Kindly Regards
Anders
Kindly regards
Anders

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 11 Aug 2020, 5:53 pm

minicab wrote:
Sat, 08 Aug 2020, 10:48 pm

When I remove the drum brakes, do I also need to remove the wheel bearings?
No, the studs are just in the drums. If you put a nut on the end of the stud before knocking it out, and use a block of wood, and if you're careful you won't damage the old stud and it should knock out alright.

No need to go anywhere near the bearings.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk