The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Introduce Yourself

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
Gasmatt1

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Gasmatt1 » Sun, 03 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

Evening all, from sunnyish Old Basing RG24.
Saw Rob Hall's Wolseley & Portafold at our village show. Beer tent had been open a while, so I may have been a bit overenthusiastic. Anyway, Rob was great & we're now in the offing for a Portafold too. Nothing nice to tow it with though- just a rather battered old Toyota, as I think the MZ's a bit too lightweight...
With any luck, I'll have one to argue about with the Domestic Supervisor before the summer's done...
Matt

The Ploppies

Post by The Ploppies » Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

Hi,
We're Adam and Karina, collectively known as the Ploppies. We got talking to a lady and her little dog on the saturday night of Retro Festival. She told us about Portafolds and encouraged us to visit the next day. Having come to the Portafold area we fell in love with them. It took less than 30 minutes and we wer easking around to see who was selling one. Fortunately we were told about Sharon and Neil Vaughn's Portafold . A week later we had met up with them on a Somerset campsite and bought their excellent mid 60's Portafold . We went away in it last weekend and it was fantastic.
We are about to embark on a week in Cornwall with the Portafold. We are in love with it.
When i work out how to add a picture I will.

Admin

Post by Admin » Mon, 19 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

Posting pictures is really easy now as I've allowed them to be added direct to the forum without using a third-party website.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=814
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

scottie

Post by scottie » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 10:28 pm

hi

eventually managed to get registered, been using a cheltenham sable for a few years

was bidding on a portafold today but it went over my price for what it was, so still on the look out :P

The Ploppies

Post by The Ploppies » Wed, 28 Jun 2017, 6:54 am

Keep at it. You won't regret getting a portafold. Simplicity at its best

Gayle79

Post by Gayle79 » Fri, 25 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

Hi everyone - we are Gayle and Richie from Hungerford in Berkshire. We bought the 1972 Portafold advertised on here a few weeks ago as our first, although we have stayed in one previously and have owned a Raclet folding caravan before now, amongst others.

Our new purchase (now named Lolita) will be going on her first and only outing in a couple of weeks before we take her off the road for a restoration and paint job over winter. All three wheels are currently being blasted, powder coated and tyred. She will ultimately be towed by a 1965 VW Splitscreen called Dolores which is painted coral and cream and currently (slowly) being put together. We are massive mid-century enthusiasts and Lolita will be kitted out with plenty of atomic sass and home comforts.

We are very lucky because Richie is a vehicle restorer who can do everything from electrics to fibreglassing and welding, he is also pretty good with veltrim and I'm very much into design so hope to get Lolita looking great by the time we get round to Retrofestival next year (15 minutes drive!). We were tempted to come this year as we usually would but I had just sold my Airstream and had only had Lolita a week at that point. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to meet you all soon.

Ultimately Lolita will be used more for our sons when we are all out camping together, as the Splitscreen will have everything in there to be self contained for us two, but as we have classic American and classic British cars too we plan to tow her behind different vehicles subject to the show we attend and stay in her ourselves.

We will be photographing the progress as we go and putting it up on here, and we will probably have questions as we go!

Gayle and Richie

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Fri, 08 Sep 2017, 9:12 pm

Hi all, I'm Paul and my wife is Dawn. finally bought myself a portafold and am very excited. We registered on this forum after seeing Portafold's at the Dorset steam fair. We have been looking for about 18 months. Finally fell for Robs one. It's the one with all the stickers on. It will be behind my V8 trike. This is an upgrade from our combi camp. We are looking forward other members next year

SteveP

Post by SteveP » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

Hi all,
I'm Steve recently joined and an just bought a Portafold from Jeff in Bournmouth.

Looks like it has had many owners over the years since 1971 with various adaptions and painting in different colours.

A bit cold and wet at the moment to start any work but I will be looking to do some indepth restoration in due course.

With my tractor and Landrover there are a couple of local shows I go to which one of them clashes with the next 10th International Gathering so will not be attending next year but I hope to attend the 11th and meet many of you.

Keep up the good work.
Steve
Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------
1953 Ferguson TED20 tractor. 1984 Landrover Series 111.

Hourhouse

Post by Hourhouse » Tue, 19 Nov 2019, 2:13 pm

Hello everyone
I'm Tony, in Scarborough, on the Yorkshire coast, and currently don't have a Portafold or even a towbar, but I'm looking!
If there's anyone local, feel free to give me a shout :)
I've never actually owned a caravan, but I do have a tent and a lot of camping gear and a Portafold seems like a good idea, especially as I have a Honda Jazz, with a limited towing capacity.
I've owned a lot of kitcars over the years and, seeing the assortment of interesting vehicles that seem to have a Portafold in tow, I'm rather sorry that I don't have one any more, but at least I'm no stranger to fibreglass.
I've been intrigued by folding fibreglass vans since I saw one at a steam rally at least 30 years ago. My recollection is that it was a Portofold shape, but it also had a bung in the middle of the footwell so it could be used as a bath! I think the footwell dipped a bit in the middle to drain, but I could be mistaken - it was a very long time ago. The other thing that intrigued me was that it had a blue canvas tent, and my recollection is that it was about 4 times the size of the van, which sat in one corner and as I remember, the tent had a scalloped trim around the edge of the roof and rather nice ball finials on the wooden tent poles.
I have no idea how accurate my memories are, but maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about? I haven't seen any bathplugs in the Portafold footwell photos...
================================================================================= .
.> )\;`a__
( _ _)/ /-." ~~
`( )_ )/
_ <_ <_ ________________________________________________________ Dragonmaster at Underhill Caverns
=================================================================================

Rae+Ann

Post by Rae+Ann » Fri, 04 Sep 2020, 1:42 pm

Hello everybody in Portafold land. We have just become the proud owners of a lovely Portafold. In need of some work but no more than you would expect from any Portafold of it's age. We live in the Kingdom of Fife in Scotland and we had to travel down to the High Peak district to pick it up from a couple that advertised it on this site. We were hoping to use our Chrysler PT Cruiser but, unfortunately, a tow bar could not be sourced in time so we used our motorhome; which towed it no problem at all, in fact, when I went round corners I was checking to see if it was still there.

Rae