The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

What are your slats made of?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
Misty Meg

What are your slats made of?

Post by Misty Meg » Fri, 14 May 2010, 6:43 pm

I want to make up some slats to do across the centre for when I make up the bed across the whole width. I've bought some wood but wondered what other people have used, beaing in mind weight and how the store away when not in use?

txfsealord

Re: What are your slats made of?

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 14 May 2010, 8:16 pm

Hi Meg,

I've used 3 pieces of good-quality planed softwood, they are about 5" wide by 3/4" thick & an easy fit across the footwell rebates (van's folded at the moment otherwise I'd measure them exactly). They pack tidily away in the locker next to the n/s wheelarch, with other interior-structure parts. Softwood is reasonably light, very rigid & not expensive.

We found when making up the double bed, we were very short of room; not unusual in these vans I know, but bed-assembly is worst-case in my opinion. It's helpful to be able to add or take out the planks one at a time when working, so I haven't linked them together in any way, they're simply loose planks.

Steve Lord

Admin

Re: What are your slats made of?

Post by Admin » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 4:57 pm

I bought a cheap set of pine single bed slats from eBay, measured the gap between the lockers and cut each slat in turn to fit. Sanded down the corners so they sit nicely on the edge of the lockers, then stapled some bed slat ribbon to hold them at the correct spacing when they're put in place. I then got some thin (4-5mm) ply, and cut that into three pieces to lay over the slats so you don't feel the slats through the cushions.

The size of the ply boards means they store perfectly into the bay window at the front of the Portafold; and they hold the slats in place behind them.

Before I stapled the ribbon to them:
2013-06-19.JPG
With the boards laid on top:
2013-06-30_1.JPG
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!