The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Ansfold for sale on eBay - NOW SOLD

Items now sold.
demondriverdave

Ansfold for sale on eBay - NOW SOLD

Post by demondriverdave » Thu, 20 Aug 2009, 11:05 am

Item number: 230369157859

[DEAD LINK REMOVED]

Looks quite nice.

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Thu, 20 Aug 2009, 11:58 am

It does look quite nice doesn't it. There is very little difference between the Ansfold and the Portafold is there, well apart from the fins?
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 21 Aug 2009, 11:49 am

bigbird wrote:There is very little difference between the Ansfold and the Portafold is there, well apart from the fins?
Actually, there's a lot more than you might think at first glance. No ribbs underneath the side walls, no wardrobe pods, no bay window, internal lockers different (to accomodate the cooker/sink unit), rear lights.

I'm sure that Steve will give you a few more...
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Fri, 21 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

Crikey, and yet they looks so similar on first glance?! I'll have to have a look at some internal pictures, there must be some on here...
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

txfsealord

Ansfold differences

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 21 Aug 2009, 8:30 pm

Hi all, Matt's quite right usually, Ansfolds don't have the ribbed sidewalls.... except this one! It's the only 'Annie' I've yet seen with ribs, & also the Landrover-type door hinges as on Portys rather than the usual flat chrome-plated type. Otherwise, the front & rear panels are as normal for Annies. The fibreglass is in very nice nick isn't it?

Jan's right too, the main difference against Portys is in the roof; no fins as she says, plus the double-skinned treatment with the fibreglass lining. The A-frame chassis is different too; Annies make do without dampers, except mine as I've added 'em.

Looks like this one's had changes to the axle, maybe Indespension units have been used as it has different wheels (again!) & the hubs aren't in the centre of the arches. It doesn't appear to have its kitchen, either. Some of the photos show it folded right-side-first, & you can see how that stresses the roof & cracks the corners; there was a question about this recently on here. Annies must be folded left-side-first.

We've seen SO MANY differences in production! I don't reckon there ever was a standard unit; the company just used whatever they had lying around, or could scrounge on credit, I reckon. This was the official production philosophy for Lotus Cars, for many years.....

Someone told Anorakite Alan at Beauliue their Annie hadn't got the centre locker, like his hasn't; they said all Annies were like that, except mine of course. Well, this one has the central locker also.

I'm quite excited by all this! I must go & take my pills immediately.

Steve

PS I've just gone back for another look & noticed it's got the Portafold's moulded side-shelves rather than the Ansfold's cruddy Melamine-faced chipboard. I suspect this one's a very early Annie & they had a lot of Porty bits in stock still. Be interesting to get the chassis no.....

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Fri, 21 Aug 2009, 9:16 pm

That's interesting Steve, I suspect you're right about the bits being left over, nothing seems completely standard does it?!

Admin

Re: Ansfold differences

Post by Admin » Sat, 22 Aug 2009, 7:18 pm

txfsealord wrote:...Be interesting to get the chassis no.....
You know me, I'm on it already, he can't find it...
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

ada472

Post by ada472 » Mon, 24 Aug 2009, 12:17 pm

Hi all, i'm the chap selling this Ansfold. I don't know much about them but have been amazed by the amount of interest in it! I still can't find the serial number but will have another go before it sells. I have also noted the correct way of unfolding them and refolding it, thanks for that!, anyone interested it ends tonight on eBay (Monday). :D