The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Paint

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
petman

Paint

Post by petman » Thu, 08 Mar 2007, 1:08 am

Hi all
just found this site :D
I got mine late last year (ebay) and have just started the rebuild !
I want to paint the outside the same colour as my car anyone got any ideas on what type of paint I can use. It looks like its painted with ordinary gloss paint at the moment

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 08 Mar 2007, 3:07 pm

When I enquired about paint (last year) I was told to speak to a boat chandlers because what we've got is exactly like a GRP boat and they're used to repainting them. I was advised to use a specific GRP undercoat that helps normal paint bond with the shiny GRP finish. I was able to get a couple of spray cans made up within minutes and then I was able to use a cellulose top coat.

The problem you might have now though is that as of 1st Jan 2007 there's new legislation regarding what paint types are available. You might have to have a water based paint instead of cellulose but you'd need to speak to a car paint expert for more detailed info.

Hope this is helpful.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

petman

Post by petman » Fri, 09 Mar 2007, 12:57 am

Got some of the paint off this morning and it smells and looks like ordinary gloss paint !
It must have been applied with a yard brush, judging by the finish. I went to my local decorators shop and explained what I had and want I wanted to do.
He suggested I sand back to a smooth finish then go to B&Q and have my colour matched to the car ( I could take in the petrol cap) in normal external gloss, then apply it with a gloss roller
I must say it sounds a lot cheaper and easier than removing all the old paint the preping for a car paint. I have used gloss rollers before a had very good results :shock:

PS
You can still get "cellie" paint but it will die out, the new stuff really needs an oven to cure it . Not good for a GRP body. My car painter mate ( I am in the "trade" also) will give it a go but its at my own risk!! :roll:

B&Q may get a visit in the near future :lol:

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 09 Mar 2007, 10:37 am

The problem with using ordinary household gloss is that it probably won't bond very well with the GRP, that might be why it was applied pretty thick, to stop it from flaking off. With my experience of B&Q staff I'd probably speak to a boat chandlers first, just a quick call to get some advise on painting onto GRP.

You can strip the paint off using some GRP paint stripper, I got mine from a local boat chandlers. It cost about £10 for a large pot big enough for the whole van a couple of times over. This will save you from having to sand it back and risk scratching the gel coat.

If your GRP is in good condition under the paint, have you though of just returning it to gel coat finish? It makes it easy to maintain, you can polish it the same as your car and it won't ever require repainting or touching up. And god forbid, should you ever decide to sell it, it'll make it a lot easier to sell to someone who hasn't got your car :lol:

As for the cellulose, I was told the same, basically that you could still buy it while it was in stock, once the supplies had run down then there would be no more.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri, 09 Mar 2007, 7:23 pm

I think your biggest problem will be finding someone to help you in B&Q!!!
Gloss might be ok if the body is keyed up enough, certainly a easier way to paint it

demondriverdave

Paint

Post by demondriverdave » Sat, 10 Mar 2007, 6:33 pm

In reference to normal gloss paint, I have so far spent about 10 hours trying to get it off the roof of my Portafold.
Someone painted the roof chocolate brown, very thick in some places and not so thick in others, and it was peeling in other places.
So think hard before applying very thick gloss paint !

DAA

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sun, 11 Mar 2007, 10:32 pm

Hello all,

I have spent most of the winter preparing my Portafold for a respray.

I have had to rub the roof right back to the grey primer as the original surface was badly cracked.

I intend to use International paint called topside which comes in a very nice cream colour.

I don't know whether to roller or spray but will wait until the warmer weather.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Admin

Post by Admin » Sun, 11 Mar 2007, 10:35 pm

International, is that boat paint?
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Tue, 13 Mar 2007, 11:29 pm

Hello all,

Yes it is boat paint but is designed for fibreglass if used with the correct primer, I was just wondering would I have to do any special preparation as I have rubbed through the gel coat on the roof as it was in such bad condition.

This paint is designed to be applied by roller or by spraying, has anyone had any experience in using it either way.

John

Post by John » Mon, 30 Jun 2008, 7:50 pm

Hi,

I have tried lots of ways to get the paint off my Portafold. The best way I have found is to use a 125mm orbital sander with 40 grit paper, previously it was taking hours to try and sand the paint off, now it's taking minutes.