The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Awnings?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
Neil

Post by Neil » Tue, 09 Jun 2009, 9:16 pm

Admin wrote: I've just got my modified Anglia 105e and the Fiesta as my daily runaround. And of course both have tow bars for the Portafold :D

Hi Matt, are you taking the Anglia to Wroughton, it must be ready by now :twisted:

We should have everything ready, Portafold nearly done (did you know mice like the taste of Portafolds!!)

Got a new awning off Pete, should be the same as the other big freestanding one we had, he's just got to sort out which set of poles go with it :lol:

hattytheherald

Awnings

Post by hattytheherald » Tue, 09 Jun 2009, 9:29 pm

But no Triumphs!! :?

You must feel all lonely with only two cars! We're only half way to that number

1970 Triumph Herald 13/60 convertable - major rebuild caused by fitting the towbar
? Triumph TR7 - Not yet to rebuild stage - just a collection of parts
1976 Triumph 2500s with towbar
1966 Triumph 2.5PI
1993 Saab 9000 CDE
2006 VW Transporter
1973 Portafold

and running out of room to store them all. Maybe it's time to get another?

Vanessa

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 09 Jun 2009, 9:44 pm

Neil wrote: Hi Matt, are you taking the Anglia to Wroughton, it must be ready by now :twisted:
I hope so, that's the plan. When I've repatriated it from down in Devon then there's no reason it shouldn't be going. Apart from the hole I poked in the footwell less than half an hour after passing its MOT! :roll:

We'll be having an awning meeting at 'The Adrian Flux Classic Car and Bike Show' by the sound of it. See what we can come up with, with regards to getting them remade.

And we can't really call it 'Wroughton' anymore...
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

hattytheherald

Awnings

Post by hattytheherald » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 8:03 am

Hi all

Thought I'd write a quick update on our awning investigations. We finally managed to get our awning up that came with the portafold and it doesn't fit anywhere near. As we need one for our weekend away at the end of June and didn't have time to get one made (although if anyones interested a company will make one but will take 4-5 weeks).

We finally settled on a Spacemaker freestanding awning thats made for VW Campers as the height was the same as the Portafold. The width was wrong, although we knew that but all in all it worked quite well. We attached just the top to the van and had the sides loose to allow access that way. It didn't rain so we didn't get a chance to find out how it would work in the rain but it worked well for us. As its freestanding it zips up like a tent so although there was an area not watertight between the van and the awning, the awning itself stays watertight. It cost £230 and had the added bonus of being easy to put up.

Vanessa

Inky

Post by Inky » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm

Image067.jpg
this is my awning i dont know if its made for a portafold as it came with it,but its a good fit, i had to modify the poles, it don't look to good in the picture as i dont have the guide ropes on.

Cars i own at present are:-
1959 Mk11 Zodiac
1953 Mk1 Consul V8
1989 Mazda MX5
2000 Jaguar S Type
and various motor cycles

txfsealord

Steve's Ansfold Awning

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 10 Jul 2010, 4:53 pm

Hi all, this is our 3rd serious attempt at a 'real' awning for the Ansfold. I've bought a new 7'6" Coniston, made by NR Awnings. I had to make 2 off brackets to attach its upper rails to the Ansfold's roof, & fit standard awning track across the roof, down the o/s/r corner & along the lower edge. NR are a British company, a very helpful bunch who were happy to "tailor" their product to my dimensions to optimise its fit. I had them remove 6" from its height at the van end; this tapered to zero at the awning's window end & had the effect of reducing the roof-slope angle. Oh yes; NR work in feet & inches as well, vital to me as I don't speak metric!

As the awning is wider than the van, the o/s corner-bracket "outriggs" the awning pole, giving clearance for the open door. I bought an extra draught-skirt for use as a fillet to close this gap. This awning has proper corner-poles, which greatly simplify its attachment to our vans. On the n/s, the corner-pole tucks quite neatly in to the "rebate" formed by the van side- & end-walls, without need of a fillet.

Pole-hangers The o/s has to pick up the van roof in 3 places for high-wind stability, hence its weird shape. The n/s is a simple channel-section. Both have a short piece of rail which aligns with each end of roof rail.
Modifiedawning002.jpg

Pole-hangers & top rail It now sports rail down its o/s edge & along the bottom as well.
Modifiedawning001.jpg

Modified awning These were taken after I'd returned the fabric to NR for the shortening-work. Erected in my downhill-sloping garden, the caravan door just touches the awning's roof in the middle of its opening-arc. On level ground it should just-about clear, I estimate/hope!
Makingpole-hangers002.jpg
Steve

roy

Re: Awnings?

Post by roy » Wed, 25 Aug 2010, 9:07 pm

Hi, just dug out a letter which came with my portie. It's a quote for an Ansfold awning verified by a P. J. Bennett for the price of £99.00 plus VAT and £9.00 plus VAT for the channelling [whatever that is]. Unfortunately they will only guarantee this price until August 1st 1976. Hope this is of no use what so ever, it also lists a price for an Ansfold trailer £760.00. Extras, thicker 4 inch cushions £20.00. Number plate [fitted] £3.50 and tent annexe £99.00. :shh:

These letters are in a fragile state but if I can upload them I will. I can give some dimensions but without the picture might not make much sense but here goes: tent side projection 7ft 6. Width at front 11ft 6", width at back 9ft 0", height at back 6ft 10", height at front 6ft 9"[peak], height at front corners 5ft 10.

This is what i've got hope it helps.