The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Awnings?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
fibreglasshero

Awnings?

Post by fibreglasshero » Wed, 27 May 2009, 3:37 pm

Hi
Can anyone give me some advice as to which awnings would fit our Portafold, as from what I can see of the current range available, only the camper/motorhome free standing/driveaway type would be suitable for fitting to the rear of our van, as all of the standard awnings are manufactured in widths which are too wide, and our 18 year old son doesn't particularly want to share the sleeping quarters inside with us, & would prefer to sleep outside. (cant think why!)
Any advice would be very well received.
Thanks
So many repairs, so little time!

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 28 May 2009, 7:10 pm

Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

fibreglasshero

Post by fibreglasshero » Fri, 29 May 2009, 1:15 pm

Cheers Matthew,
Thanks for the links, all of which were very handy.
Plenty of food for thought here. We recently went to a local outlet, and the Blenheim awning by the Royal company seems to be a good match. Also, the Sunnflair Aspect may fit with a bit of jiggling. Both retail for around £150, so at least it won't break the bank!
I'll let you know how we get on with our quest for extra room.
Thanks
Rob
So many repairs, so little time!

hattytheherald

Awning

Post by hattytheherald » Sun, 31 May 2009, 9:41 pm

Hi
We're also after getting hold of an awning. We have a very smelly awning and try as we might we cannot work out how the poles go! Noticed too on the earlier post about there being a possible awning that we may be able to use as a template. Does anyone know if it is still available? My hubby is suggesting taking it to a fairly local company that makes awnings to see if they can make one and this would be much better if we had a template. Is anyone interested in this? If there was enough interest then may be we could get a company to make some.

Any thoughts?

Vanessa

txfsealord

Awnings

Post by txfsealord » Mon, 01 Jun 2009, 7:41 pm

Hi Vanessa,

We had intended having a purpose-made awning for our Ansfold made by NR Awnings, late last year. Unfortunately, my wife was ill for some months & we had to cancel due to lack of funds, but she's better now.

So, we might well be interested in a joint-effort, if that's what you have in mind. The Portafold/Ansfold configuration, with the awning on the back & a long way away from the wheels, seems to be somewhat of a challenge to modern tent-makers because of the large amount of rise-&-fall which has to be accommodated in the design. They seem to feel the rather primitive arrangements of the original would represent bad advertising for them when viewed by other potential customers, I think!

Steve Lord

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 11:34 am

I too have inherited a bundle of tubes and a rather smelly rear-mounted awning, so I had been thinking along the lines of a motorhome porch but was thinking of putting it on a rail on the side. Am I right in thinking that the porches only use the top horizontal part of an awning rail? - sorry if this sounds a fairly obvious question but we do not really have caravans on the island and certainly no dealers/suppliers, so the opportunities to nose around them are somewhat limited, in fact hen's teeth are more common.

hattytheherald

Awning

Post by hattytheherald » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm

Steve - would be really happy to go with a joint effort. Double the brains is always good. Are you going to Wroughton? Praps we can get together and have a chat about it.

Are the awnings different for the Portafold and the Ansfold? Anyone know this?

Ian - fancy coming to wroughton with your poles and smelly awning and seeing how long it takes before we can get both awnings up??? :lol: Anyone up for the challenge?

Matthew - thanks for the pics. Is the sun porch Alan and Wendy's by any chance? It's all their fault we have a portafold

Vanessa

txfsealord

Awnings at Wroughton

Post by txfsealord » Wed, 03 Jun 2009, 6:26 pm

Hi Vanessa,

Yes, we'll be at Wroughton, it'll be good to try & do something! I've been struggling with the Awnery Orning question for over 2 years now!

Steve

hattytheherald

Awnings

Post by hattytheherald » Tue, 09 Jun 2009, 1:49 pm

Steve - it's a date. Not sure how long we're going to be able to come for but have now booked so we'll have a chat then. We'll be in the Portafold with a gleaming roof!! OH and the two screaming kids

Matthew - but you didn't buy the Herald too?? I really miss the Herald. Can't wait to get her back on the road and tow the Portafold with her.

In the meantime I think we might just buy a second hand one and see if we can get it to fit.

Vanessa

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 09 Jun 2009, 2:59 pm

Buy the Herald?

I think at the time I had no fewer than...well...actually...far too many cars already.

1987 BMW 325i,
1985 Golf GTi Cabrio,
1965 modified Anglia 105e,
1961 Anglia 307e van,
1966 Anglia 105e,
1967 Anglia 105e Estate,
1971 Daimler Sovereign,
1968 Daimler V8 250,
1965 Anglia 105e,
2000 Perodua Nippa,
1983 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia,
Landrover SWB Series 2a.

and now...

I've just got my modified Anglia 105e and the Fiesta as my daily runaround. And of course both have tow bars for the Portafold :D
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!