The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Hydraulic brakes

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
knockdolian

Hydraulic brakes

Post by knockdolian » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 9:50 pm

Hi all, I’m towing with my Trike and find the Portafold is pushing when breaking. The over ride brake is working but not when breaking because of the push. Has anyone ever fitted or know of anyone fitting hydraulic brakes drum or disc.
Thanks

Admin

Re: Hydraulic brakes

Post by Admin » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 11:26 pm

What about fitting a weaker spring in the hitch?
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Frothy Man

Post by Frothy Man » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 7:34 am

When I towed mine with the Cresta it was fine, witness an emergency stop outside White Waltham. It stopped on a dime otherwise I would have had part shares in a '55 Chevy! On the back of the Victor it used to push down hill (it was very steep hill into Dursley) but worked okay elsewhere. I stripped the unit down, inspected and cleaned it and all was well. I think the weight of the tow vehicle helps, heavier the better as I don't even know its there with the truck.

I don't know about retro fitting hydraulics but as I know you know, anything is possible. I think I'd play with the existing hitch a little first. Adjustment of the cable and hitch might bring the brakes on earlier and more progressively.

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

Thanks for the two reply’s so far ! I thought about a lighter spring but it’s getting on ? If a car locks up then the over run will kick in. Because the Portafold pushes the trike in hard breaking there never seems to be enough force on the over run.
I asked about hydraulic brakes because I saw a motorcycle towing a braked trailer. It used a quick release coupling to connect the trailer brake to the bikes rear brake system. The trailer braked when it bike braked assisting in the total breaking force. Very clever.

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Mon, 05 Nov 2018, 8:38 pm

DDE8B961-0CD7-4875-B794-34E4B699C25D.jpeg

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 10:01 pm

Just for an update I’m planning to fit mini drum brakes so watch this space 👍

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 11:57 pm

Cheers for the update.

Basically speaking though, will they be any different to what you've got now? You've already got drums, and you'll be replacing them with drums? It won't make the breaking any easier.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 12:12 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 11:57 pm
Cheers for the update.

Basically speaking though, will they be any different to what you've got now? You've already got drums, and you'll be replacing them with drums? It won't make the breaking any easier.
Well no in a word. The plan is to not have a master cylinder on the trailer but link the trailer brakes to the trike brakes. When the trike brakes are applied even a small amount the same will happen on the trailer. That will prevent the shunting in getting at the moment. The mini back plates were delivered yesterday so I’m hoping I can use mini back plates and the Portafold drums. Otherwise it will be a stub axle change. This is unknown territory so any suggestions greatly received

Admin

Post by Admin » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 2:21 pm

How are you going to link the brakes?
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 2:47 pm

09F00528-0BDB-4C71-8E0A-427089775AAB.png
With one of these