The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Help with trim wanted

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Admin

Help with trim wanted

Post by Admin » Mon, 09 Feb 2009, 5:40 pm

Malc has asked for some help.

Spot the difference between the two pictures below...

and if you can, does anyone know where to get the trim from?
MissingPortafoldChannelling.jpg
WithPortafoldChannelling.jpg
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

txfsealord

Water baffles

Post by txfsealord » Tue, 10 Feb 2009, 2:21 pm

Hi, these trims can easily be fabricated, I used 18swg soft aluminium sheet for mine, I needed 2 for my Ansfold.

Cut the metal to length & about 2" wider than the widest part of the development.

Bend the first fold in the vice, holding the centre part between one vice jaw & a piece of hardwood or metal the same width or narrower than the inside width of the channel. Leave plenty of 'flange' to finish to size after making the folds.

Turn the part-folded blank over, so the next fold is level with the top of the vice & the inside of the channel is again held between vice-jaw & metal (or wooden) block. The block has to be wider than the first flange, else the spine of the part can't be trapped correctly.

Make the second fold.

Cut both flanges to the correct widths & tapers to fit your 'van with minimum clearances but without filing. I recommend hacksawing first, then finish-filing to size.

Hacksaw & file the shaped top.

Erect the 'van, leaving the side panel folded fully down to gain access, then mark accessible positions for drilled holes. Where these finish up depends on the size of drill-chuck you have, how far down you can fold the 'van side, previous damage etc. Drill the holes in the new baffles, then hold each in place & drill the 'van hull. I attached mine using self-tapping screws rather than rivets owing to the difficult access.

If you used aluminium, it must be etch-primed (e.g. 'Acid 8' available from Halfords) before top coating.

Clean the hull & fit with a little bathroom sealer or similar behind them, as much to prevent their working loose than for reasons of actual sealing.

Steve Lord

bigbird

Re: Help with trim wanted

Post by bigbird » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 11:24 am

Hi there, do you have any pictures of the finished Aluminium product?
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

txfsealord

Post by txfsealord » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 5:56 am

Hi Bigbird,

This 'trim' part is one that Portafold would have made for themselves, rather than buying it in from an outside supplier. Fortunately, it's very easy to make at home out of aluminium sheet, provided you have some wood and a bench vice.
Replacement weather fillet.jpg
Cheers,
Steve

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 2:58 pm

Thank you Steve, that's something that we will check on in the spring now, when we get her out again. :thumbup:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...