The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

What sort of improvements benefit a Portafold

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
paul~3

Post by paul~3 » Sat, 02 Dec 2006, 3:27 pm

Cirencester Airfield two years ago is where i last counted 24 port/ans at a show, most had some form of d i y, but we could share info and improve our own little palaces, for example. I have fitted a stainless steel drainer-sink-worktop unit removed from an old trailer tent. It hangs by cable from the two front corners enabling me to put double bed up without harm, and use it whilst in bed, and without the gas fittings its nice compact and lighweight. (i use a parrafine pressure stove) Also where the heavy original fourth bed/worktop goes ive made a hammock bed from stair rail timber x2 lenghths 5'4" in old money and kept apart with 1/2" dowel, its very light and easily stowed away behind the long cushion.
But my best mod has to be my gravity shower which drains through the floor inside the c/van, this is made from a sheet of buiders rigid black plastic thet resembles cardboard in its construction and so is very light but strong with some flex to it, Er,,, i can see that i have to get some photos of details for this one, but it also gets stowed behind the other long cushion and cant be seen. :idea:
Last edited by paul~3 on Fri, 05 Jan 2007, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See my portafolds here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26942080@N02/2521414758/

Admin

Essential addition

Post by Admin » Wed, 20 Dec 2006, 11:41 am

The one thing we've found we can't do without is our 'bed board'.

I'll explain what I mean: The main reason I noticed the Portafold all those years ago was the fact that I could have a decent length bed in a small caravan. Most 2 berth caravans that are light enough to be towed by a Ford Anglia have their double bed going across one end, meaning I have to sleep diagonally across the bed (I'm 6'2"). BUT, with a section of plywood big enough to fill the gangway (where the sink unit would go when the Portafold is folded down) we can have a double bed the length of the Portafold. It actually works out with all the cushions at 6 foot wide and 8 foot long. Bigger than my bed at home, luxury! :D

Admin

Also...

Post by Admin » Wed, 20 Dec 2006, 11:52 am

Just thought about our strip light as well. It's a hard wired light running off the leisure battery. Essential for when you come back from the beer tent at shows...

It's fixed above the door and the cable runs across the top of the end section, down into the wardrobe, then I have a couple of bullet connections (which have to be disconnected every time the caravan is folded down). The leisure battery is fixed over the axle in the lockers and the cable runs along inside the locker to meet the cable coming down from the light unit.

paul~3

Different sort of benefit

Post by paul~3 » Wed, 27 Dec 2006, 11:51 am

Im chuffed, ive just got a Storm Kettle (burns twigs & rubbish) for cristmas this year from my kids 23 & 18 That means my touring season will start earlier, just so i can try it :wink: Country pub visits friday night with your mates are brill with a Portafold as they can be "popped" up in a car park overnight (with Permission) without drawing attention. But burn off the booze before you drive with a long walk or cycle on sat as i do. What a l-o-n-g weekend youll have.. Happy 2007 :lol:

Snorbs

Post by Snorbs » Thu, 11 Jan 2007, 7:45 pm

I've just brought a solar panel charger to keep the battery topped up and will be handy this year for keeping the lights and cooler box charged

stuartbubbles

Post by stuartbubbles » Sun, 14 Jan 2007, 9:49 pm

I was very lucky when I got my Portafold - a previous owner had been very creative and built boxes round the windows to hide the curtian strechies and a kitchette that folds flat against the right-hand side - all finished beautifully in a dark oak formica.
A great 2 burner stove for cooking but no sink, a small bowl is perfect for washing up.
There is a detatchable cabinet that hangs on the wall - sort of cross between a plate/spice rack - great for putting your tea & coffee on...
They also made a fold out wardrobe in one of the alcoves by the door which works really well.
I also have a fold out partition between the front and side bunks with a light that swivels and a central strip light that both connect with little button plugs - it uses the spare connection on the tow hitch electrics so can be used from the car battery or a leisure battery in a box fitted with a female connector [Which is what I use].
I also have a built in insulated cold box under the front seat which works better than any modern thermos type cooler bag.
Things that don't necessarily benefit a portafold - Mine was painted pink inside when I got it - that changed very soon after purchase - also dusky pink flowery curtains - they've gone too !
Stuart

paul~3

A drip proof ceiling might help

Post by paul~3 » Sat, 26 May 2007, 6:14 pm

Hi all :idea: Heres a benefit that helps. Take one upturned portafold roof and give it a good scrubbing. Let it dry~ Then get a pint of P V A glue and spread it all over the roof. But ~ only in the large middle square, let it dry. Next after choosing and trimming your "befitting" ceiling cloth SOAK it with water. Only now can you apply to the roof, try not to bring the glue through the fabric and choose a cool day.. :shock: now the problem page.. I scrubbed my roof and got rid of a problem patch of algae, then painted over it with silver boat paint. (International no less) Then glue, cloth, have a little holiday, how nice, no drips even at easter (minus three with four people in the van) at longmynd shropshire.... Then may 19/20 at Belvoir castle i spotted it :twisted: the algae is returning, its eaten through the silver yaght varnish. :shock: HELP.

vforbes

Re: What sort of improvements benefit a Portafold

Post by vforbes » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 10:43 am

One modification I have found very useful is the Island Leg for a table. Our portafold didn't come with the original three-legged table, and we wanted to create wrap around seating at the front, and a three-legged or standard legged table would have proved shuffling round difficult.

We bought a kit on Ebay that had an island leg plus the two adapters (one to sink in the floor, the other to attach to the bottom of the table). As the floor is double-skinned, we had no issues with making a hole deep enough for the floor adapter. Now there is a sunken hole that we fill with the standard island leg cap from Fiamma when not in use.

We wanted to make the table as light as possible, so we haven't used a standard caravan wooden table. After shopping around I found a wipe-down, light blue plastic table which formed part of a child's picnic set. We removed it's normal legs and added the island leg adapter. The table is large enough to seat four around it for dinner, but is very light and just about fits into the well for folding.

Lastly, we have a fiamma island leg stand tripod, which means the same table can be used outside in the awning if we want more space in the Portafold.

Yesterday, we made our latest modification - we bought two large clips and mounted them on the flat shelf above the door. This is where the leg gets stowed when not in use and when the caravan is folded. This is an idea we nicked from Autosleeper who devised a similar thing in a campervan we used to have.

I recommend always checking out other caravans of different makes and models and stealing all the best ideas for the Portafold! :wink: