The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Awnings

Things you've sourced that are suitable for Portafolds or Ansfolds.
vauxhallbitz

Awnings

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sun, 20 May 2007, 10:26 pm

Hello all,

Not having any luck in locating an original awning, has anyone out there bought a new style awning for their van.

I have had a look at some of the "porch style" and motor caravan style awnings but am not sure if any of them would fit the Portafold.

Any assistance would be appreciated, or information where I could get an original in good condition(!)

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Mon, 21 May 2007, 9:57 am

I've had no luck either - there is a thread lower down about awnings and I think someone had a very old one that could be used as a template (I am still happy to create a template if anyone has an obsolete awning - I would gladly create a set of measurements/design details for those who might like to make their own.)

My Ansfold has rails and fixings for the awning and having seen pictures of the old awnings I think it would be relatively easy to make one. I have recently had some dutch blinds recovered at home and the guy who is doing the job can source a great Teflon coated fabric. I need to investigate further how to waterproof a seam though (I am thinking a french seam taped and sealed would work). However time is an issue this summer so it may be more of a winter project.

In the meantime I'm going to buy a 3m x3m day room and use one of the flaps to connect to the rail on the van. The day room has enclosed sides so is pretty weatherproof. Failing that someone here suggested that a simple gazebo works well. Cost of a day room is around £99 so only slightly more expensive than a standard gazebo. Will let you know how the day room works.

Angie

Post by Angie » Tue, 22 May 2007, 9:52 pm

Hi, after much research (measuring and looking on ebay) I bought one previously used on a motorhome. I have not been able to try it with my van yet as it is stored on my drive. I am hopeful that it will fit and as soon as I have a chance to put it up I will let you know! I think I have the model etc but this won't be much good if it does not fit. Angie

petman

Post by petman » Wed, 30 May 2007, 11:16 pm

just fitted an awning, is there a way to post pictures on this site?

after seeing something at at car show that could be adapted. Its called a carnopy cost under £50 including 2 side panels and after some minor alterations it works a treat :lol:

txfsealord

Awnings

Post by txfsealord » Mon, 04 Jun 2007, 6:06 pm

We took knottyknitter's advice & bought a Khyam daytent which is about 5' square at ground level with a sloping roof. We can raise one side & strap it over the Ansfold's awning rail with the guy-ropes provided. Seems OK in the garden, don't know yet if it works for-real....... the tent cost £52 new at a camping exhibition.

Steve

txfsealord

'Awning' made by Caranex

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 22 Jun 2007, 4:21 pm

Just been looking at www.caranex.co.uk which I saw advertised in Old Glory mag. Their tents are primarily for the backs of estate cars pickups vans etc., but they list one for the back of Romahome,Hytop, Duo & Bambi motorhomes which looks about right for our 'vans to me.... what does everyone else think? It's a lot of dosh, almost £400! So one would want to be pretty sure of its suitability.

Steve

demondriverdave

Portafold Awning

Post by demondriverdave » Tue, 26 Jun 2007, 6:11 am

I have a non-standard awning for a Portafold. I haven't actually put it up as the van needed a fairly major restoration (mainly the roof) and this meant removing the connecting brackets etc. I'll see if it will erect free standing and take some pictures, also see if there is a make on it.

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed, 18 Jul 2007, 7:34 pm

We use a free standing awning that is made for camper vans which is larger and fits over the back of the Portafold, but it doesn't seal so if it rains the water comes in and runs down the door :roll:

All that's stamped on the awning is NR Awnings,so i will see if i can find out some more info

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed, 18 Jul 2007, 7:39 pm

Just found NR Awnings web site,it maybe of some help there are measurements so something may fit :lol: www.nrawnings.net

Admin

Free standing awning

Post by Admin » Sat, 19 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

Here's some possibilities.

At the moment I can't get the exact measurements from my Portafold but one of these might be ok.

http://www.inaca.es/en/

http://www.dorema.co.uk

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=103

http://www.freebornmotorhomes.co.uk/rom ... sories.htm
Last edited by Admin on Fri, 29 May 2009, 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!