The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Towing

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
ShellyWell

Towing

Post by ShellyWell » Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 7:34 pm

Hi all, I am struggling to put our Portafold up on my own, I'm little and not very strong. I have seen on this site somewhere that it sounds like someone has towed theirs when it is erected, do any of you think it is safe to do this. If it is, it could solve all my problems. :problem:
Thank you
Shelly

bigbird

Re: Towing

Post by bigbird » Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 7:38 pm

Nooo, don't do it, I have heard of people doing this just a few feet and all the hinges have pulled away from the body. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in my opinion, this is really something that you shouldn't do. :(
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

Admin

Re: Towing fixed up

Post by Admin » Wed, 06 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

I'll add my vote to the no camp as well.

I can't see anything good happening from it being up. Mine creaks and cracks enough just from a windy day (every show I seem to go to recently seems to be blowing a gale). I'm guessing that If I towed it up I'd have to perform major surgery afterwards.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

ShellyWell

Re: Towing

Post by ShellyWell » Wed, 06 Jul 2011, 7:25 pm

Thank you both for your answers, I definately won't be towing it while up. Never mind, back to the drawing board.
I really like the idea of a winch which I have seen on the site but I just wouldn't have a clue on how to make one.... :idea: maybe a bit of weight lifting is on the cards to build up the strength in my spindley arms.

Thanks again,

Shelly