The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Ansfold questions

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
txfsealord

Ansfold questions

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 18 May 2007, 9:02 am

Hi all
I bought a late-model Ansfold recently, chassis no. 5-10010378, for restoration. It wasn't going to be for restoration but when I started stripping it down & realised how clapped it was I'd no choice. It had severe hull distortion, a straight-edge against the side seam had 1 1/2" daylight above it in the middle on one side, & 1 1/8" the other. I've had to extend the A-frame to the rear to form a full-length chassis. Is this much distortion often encountered? The end hinges on both the folding sides are smashed, not surprising with the hinge-pins this far out of line. Also, were any chassis' fitted with dampers? This one bounced bandily about unladen, they must wallow fairish when full?
Steve Lord

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri, 18 May 2007, 4:12 pm

I don't really know about ansfolds,but my portafold has dampers fitted,and as for the distortion, fibreglass is like most of us it's a funny thing when it gets old.It does tend to distort,crack,craze and sag over the years,sorry i can't be more helpfull :oops:

txfsealord

Ansfold handling

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 02 Jun 2007, 8:46 pm

Just come back from a first road-test, very pleased indeed! The dampers make a tremendous difference, the 'van glides creamily over speedbumps with a lot more composure than the car! The roadholding, towed briskly over bumpy, twisty back-roads is an absolute revelation, no other caravan could come anywhere near it! I do believe it really could be towed safely at 95mph like it says in the brochure (assuming your car will go that fast) - lets me out for a start!

Steve