The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

I have just got a Portafold

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
hads

I have just got a Portafold

Post by hads » Mon, 10 May 2010, 8:12 pm

I have just bought one that has been used as a potting shed for 10 years so it needs some work. I am not sure how to put a pic on but will try and sort some out.

Reggie

Re: I have just got a Portafold

Post by Reggie » Wed, 12 May 2010, 9:55 pm

Hi Neil and welcome hope you are getting on with it if you need a lift give me a buz mate :thumbup:

Check this out mate viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Thu, 13 May 2010, 1:26 pm

Welcome and good luck with the 'potting shed', mine was part of a hedge, so there are definite possibilites, providing you don't mind a bit of elbow grease!! :wink:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

hads

Post by hads » Thu, 13 May 2010, 8:38 pm

Cheers Reggie, i might take you up on that, i have been cleaning again this eve. Not sure how to post a pic but will try. it has been painted at some point and it's all flaking off and will need painting again but what paint do you use?

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 14 May 2010, 7:10 pm

hads wrote: It has been painted at some point and it's all flaking off and will need painting again but what paint do you use?
Neil,

If the paint that's on there is flaking off I'd let it. Give it some encouragement with a scraper and maybe the use of some GRP boat paint stripper and take it back to its natural gellcoat. You can polish it like a car, it's easy to maintain (no re-painting or touch ups) and it shines beautifully when you've buffed it up. Mine was painted in a bright Daytona yellow and a few days stripping has got it back to it's original cream coloured gellcoat. Much better!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

hads

Post by hads » Sat, 15 May 2010, 1:01 pm

thanks matt
i will give that boat grp stuff a go, what about the inside as it seams to be flaking and when i have got the loose stuff off its very dry and dusty.
i will also need to replace most if not all the hinges :crazy: so i have plenty to do.

Admin

Post by Admin » Sun, 16 May 2010, 10:55 am

The trials and tribulations of painting have been discussed a fair bit already here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19

that might help you along a bit. The inside is a difficult one. It's always tricking to clean a rough fibreglass finish (just ask Misty Meg) but I used scourer pads from the pound shop. The ones that come in red, green and yellow. There's no difference in their grade but they're cheap and they do take off most 'stuff' and key it very slightly ready for some bathroom paint.

As for the hinges, check out the Parts and Spares page:

http://www.portafold.co.uk/parts_and_spares.html

and they've been covered in depth here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Misty Meg

Post by Misty Meg » Tue, 18 May 2010, 4:51 pm

Yes - I have blisters on blisters! I took off loads of boarding inside mine only to find a thin sheet of what looks like PVA glue or evostick (apparently). Tried jif, fairy, nail varnish remover, terps, and a few other things to no avail (Dilunett good if removing gloss paint, but no good if water based - at least that appears to be the case). Going to go to a local paint shop and ask for some advice (as the latest suggestion is paint thinners)...

I have spent hours like a elf sat on a stool inside rubbing it off with my fingers - which works but is taking hours and feels like I am getting no-where :crazy:

Decided we will be using it regardless... :D