The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Brakes

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
vauxhallbitz

Brakes

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sun, 08 Apr 2007, 7:49 pm

Hello all,

It would appear from looking at the maintenance section of the website that my Portafold is fitted with Lockheed brakes although the wheel hub is completely different from that shown in the maintenance instructions.

Can anyone tell me what the brake shoes are from, are they Mini or something else?

Fraser.

Admin

Post by Admin » Sun, 08 Apr 2007, 10:02 pm

It's my next job I'm afraid, to get the shoes off mine and take them down to one of our many motor factors to find out what they're from. Hopefully they'll be able to give me a few part numbers and the names of other vehicles/trailers/caravans that also use them.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Gordon McLaren

Brakes

Post by Gordon McLaren » Sun, 29 Apr 2007, 6:58 am

just been reading through the topic of brakes , if the shoes happen to be different , some of the motor factors can still reline brake shoes , having worked in the agricultural industry , sometimes it was the only alternative , as you can get some real old machinery and vintage tractors turning up . generally it took about a week for return of the revamped shoes. hope this helps

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

Hello all,

Just finished renewing my brakes and shock absorbers on my van.

I decided to take the body off the chassis after all and completely reconditioned everything when it was off.

For future reference the brakes are from an Austin A35, however those from an early Morris Minor will fit with a little bit of grinding here and there. The shock absorbers are from a Triumph Herald and they have made a great difference to the handling when towing.

Next job is painting the painting the outside of the van!!!