The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

New members and our Ansfold

Pictures of your Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel.
Phil+Maria

New members and our Ansfold

Post by Phil+Maria » Sat, 03 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

Hello everyone,

Maria and I have just bought our Ansfold off eBay.

Overall we are very pleased with our purchase but it looks like we are going to have to replace the roof. The inner layer has sagged dramatically and the outer looks like it's been used as a trampoline! The rest of the van appears to need only a light restoration.
xDSC04725.jpg
xDSC04728.jpg
xDSC04731.jpg
We have bought it to tow with our 1956 Standard Super 10.

We will post about the restoration as we proceed.

Phil & Maria
Phil & Maria’s Classic Car Corner
http://www.flyingstandard.co.uk

Admin

Re: New members and our Ansfold

Post by Admin » Tue, 06 Sep 2011, 12:39 am

Phil+Maria wrote:...but it looks like we are going to have to replace the roof.
That may not be as easy as you think. I've had a quote to have new roofs made and they're not going to be cheap: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=346

You'll be better off by far to have the roof you have repaired. Nothing's impossible when it comes to fibreglass.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Phil+Maria

Post by Phil+Maria » Sat, 10 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

Hey Matthew,

My brother in law who made the doors for TVR's came around to have a look at it. He figured it was repairable but it would end up with quite a bit of extra weight. My back isn't all that good and as it stands I struggle to keep the roof up with one arm while getting the end in place. In it's current state the roof is fit for purpose and just cosmetically scruffy so we will be able to use it for what's left of the season.

I'm restoring a 1937 Standard Flying Nine so my garage is full of that at the moment but I do hope to have it rolling by the end of the year. Once the garage is clear I'll have a go at the roof of the Ansfold. I had a look at the thread you highlighted and figured I would be looking at something like that for a replacement. What I have decided to do is stabilise the outer skin of the roof, tidy it up and use it as a plug to make my own mould and then cast a new roof. I may add some Portafold style fins to it as I'm quite fond of them.

In the meantime I'm doing some bits with the interior. We've bought new foam mats and some nice retro fabric for covers. I've had the sewing machine out this afternoon and finished the first one.
2x2cushion.jpg
I've never sewn heavy upholstery fabric before (I used to make kites out of very light ripstop nylon) but I'm quite pleased with the result.

Phil

Phil+Maria

Post by Phil+Maria » Thu, 22 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

I’ve finished the covers for the new foam mattresses a few cushions and the curtains today. All the interior still needs doing but putting the new stuff inside certainly brightens the old van up. We are going away to our car clubs annual show for the weekend, both of us are really looking forward to trying our new holiday home out.
ansfoldint.jpg
Phil

Ambubird

Post by Ambubird » Tue, 15 Nov 2011, 7:59 pm

Well done Phil & Maria,
The interior looks great, inspiration for me as I'm about to start ours & am a little daunted by the whole thing! :D