The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

First Portafold in Sweden.

Pictures of your Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel.
minicab

First Portafold in Sweden.

Post by minicab » Sat, 26 Jun 2010, 1:19 pm

Hello everyone.

If hope that you have read my presentation on "Introduce Yourself".
Here is a part of my presentation:

I'm a man from Sweden and live on the west coast 30 km south of Gothenburg.
I always liked English cars since I was very young.
Mostly, I have owned Mini, MG and Rover.
Today I own a Mini Convertible from 1975, which I exhibit at car shows.
I work as a computer technician.

According to vehicle registration office, I am the first owner of a Portafold in Sweden.

The Portafold is imported from Netherlands by a man who imports vintage caravans in Sweden.

I will return with pictures of the Mini and Portafold together.

Here is the first pictures of my new owned Portafold:
P1010018_JPG-for-web-large.jpg
P1010028_JPG-for-web-large.jpg
P1010032_JPG-for-web-large.jpg
P1010027_JPG-for-web-large.jpg
More pictures are available at:

http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36 ... Portafold/
Kindly regards
Anders
--------------------------------------------------

triumphtone

Re: First Portafold in sweden.

Post by triumphtone » Mon, 28 Jun 2010, 6:21 pm

Anders

Looks like a nice unit

Anth
Triumph 2500S, 2 MkIII Spitfires, MkIV Spitfire, a Sleeping GT6 MkIII & the Portafold

txfsealord

Re: First Portafold in Sweden.

Post by txfsealord » Thu, 01 Jul 2010, 8:44 pm

Hi Anders,

Very tidy-looking caravan you have there! Although one thing caught my eye......

In your first picture, of the van folded, I noticed how close the tyre is to the top of the wheel arch. Were there a lot of heavy things inside at the time? If not, when you load it up for use you will find the tyres rubbing on the fibreglass. Unlike a car, there is no recess above the wheel to permit suspension travel, so the clearance you can see above the tyre is the available suspension travel! Unloaded, the wheel should be concentric with the wheelarch.

My Ansfold had exactly the same issue when I acquired it, which is why I noticed it on yours. On the Ansfold, the axle is mounted on heavy steel plates which form the rear end of the A-frame. Inside the double-skinning of the hull is a large piece of 3/4" thick plywood, to further spread the load. In my case the ply had become wet & rotted; the steel plate had then punched its way through the hull floor & allowed the axle to twist round, effectively "lowering" the suspension.

I dealt with the fault by removing the axle & A frame, then welding angle-irons to the steel plates to move the suspension loads into the corners of the wheelarches. The hull is much stronger here because the wheelarches' vertical face stiffens the floor structure.

Steve Lord

minicab

Re: First Portafold in sweden.

Post by minicab » Fri, 02 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm

Dear Anth.

Thanks.

triumphtone wrote:Anders

Looks like a nice unit

Anth
Kindly regards
Anders

minicab

Post by minicab » Fri, 02 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

Hello Steve.

Thanks for your message.

The Portafold was not heavily loaded in the picture.
The tyres is not rubbing on the fiberglass om my Portafold.

txfsealord wrote:Hi Anders,

Very tidy-looking caravan you have there! Although one thing caught my eye......

In your first picture, of the van folded, I noticed how close the tyre is to the top of the wheel arch. Were there a lot of heavy things inside at the time? If not, when you load it up for use you will find the tyres rubbing on the fibreglass. Unlike a car, there is no recess above the wheel to permit suspension travel, so the clearance you can see above the tyre is the available suspension travel! Unloaded, the wheel should be concentric with the wheelarch.

My Ansfold had exactly the same issue when I acquired it, which is why I noticed it on yours. On the Ansfold, the axle is mounted on heavy steel plates which form the rear end of the A-frame. Inside the double-skinning of the hull is a large piece of 3/4" thick plywood, to further spread the load. In my case the ply had become wet & rotted; the steel plate had then punched its way through the hull floor & allowed the axle to twist round, effectively "lowering" the suspension.

I dealt with the fault by removing the axle & A frame, then welding angle-irons to the steel plates to move the suspension loads into the corners of the wheelarches. The hull is much stronger here because the wheelarches' vertical face stiffens the floor structure.

Steve Lord
Kindly regards
Anders

minicab

Post by minicab » Fri, 02 Jul 2010, 11:06 pm

After leaving the chassis number to Matthew / Admin. He found information on the Portafold is manufactured in 1974.
Kindly regards
Anders

Misty Meg

Post by Misty Meg » Mon, 05 Jul 2010, 8:38 am

Hi Steve -

Just a thought - this is a Portafold, rather than an Ansfold, so it won't have the double skin will it?

I've been playing with mine this weekend and went out to check this. Without the double skin I doubt there is plywood involved - fingers crossed.

Best wishes - Jenny
(Either my arms will drop off or I will end up looking like Popeye - who's great idea was it to polish the Portafold!?!) :D

txfsealord

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 10 Jul 2010, 3:03 pm

Hi Jen,

The "double-skin" which Ansfolds have & Portafolds don't, is in the roof - if it has fins it's single-skin, if not it's double, & even heavier.

What I was referring to in the case of Anders' van, was the plywood 'slab' which stiffens the floor & axle mounts. All vans with flat floors to their footwells have this. If the floor is ribbed, the upper hull moulding is different, & these vans may not have structural plywood - I don't know. It's a question I hope to answer at the August rally, as I've wondered about it for some time now.

On the flat-floored vans, the existence of the plywood has to be inferred from the 'step' in the locker-bases between the wheelarches & the method of attachment of the corner steadies' inboard ends. There is nowhere you can see actual wood, without cutting fibreglass away.

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer you - I didn't see your question.

(I hope you didn't end up looking like Popeye!)

Steve Lord