The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Hydraulic brakes

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
Admin

Re: Hydraulic brakes

Post by Admin » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 2:57 pm

I've never seen one of those before, looks interesting, how does it work?
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 3:02 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 2:57 pm
I've never seen one of those before, looks interesting, how does it work?
Not sure but it’s used to break high pressure hydraulic lines with no drip and no pressure loss. Saw a bike trailer on a hayabusa with brake set up. That’s what got me thinking 🤔

Admin

Post by Admin » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm

Excellent, keep us updated.

Also, keep any bits you take off, I'll have them for spares, you never know what people might ask me for.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 3:29 pm

Hopefully it will be just back plates but we will see. I’m sure some of the liter cars have the same issue. I’ll keep the post going 👍

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 9:42 am

Because I can’t actually get to my Portafold for a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me what the brake dimensions are. Are the shoes mini ? Thanks

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 12:04 pm

No the shoes aren't Mini. Haven't identified what they are yet (other than Rubery Owen) but you can get them relined easier than you can find new replacements.

www.custombrakes.co.uk
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 12:45 pm

Admin wrote:
Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 12:04 pm
No the shoes aren't Mini. Haven't identified what they are yet (other than Rubery Owen) but you can get them relined easier than you can find new replacements.

www.custombrakes.co.uk
That’s interesting. Do you know off the top of your head what size they are ? They look like they were made for a hydraulic brake because they have a slot for the hand break mechanism

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 15 Nov 2018, 12:55 pm

No, that's the limit of my knowledge at the moment. Hopefully over the winter I will do a complete reccy on the brakes and suspension so I can get some stock of them in the shop.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 7:31 pm

Time to make a start on the brake project. Looking at these, not before time. Seems the back plates for a classic mini will fit on the stub axle without opening the hole. The mini backplates have a double lip the inner being the same diameter as the Portafold one. The drums fit inside perfectly. Looks like all that is required is for the mini back plate to have the mount holes made and a spacer of about 5mm to give the drum some clearance.
Attachments
39F6AD9D-C56F-4D2D-9B1C-70276155153B.jpeg
0F7C812E-FCFA-4E59-9BB0-87F4840773D3.jpeg

knockdolian

Post by knockdolian » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 8:04 pm

Portafold shoes on mini back plate
310B37E0-8C62-4336-AF66-29A67DE7D9A4.jpeg