The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

How much does the roof weigh?

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
Anne

How much does the roof weigh?

Post by Anne » Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

Does anyone know how much the roof of a portafold weighs? I am getting a lifting system made and need to know the size of winch required. I was inspired by the one made for the ansafold. Thanks, Anne

txfsealord

Re: How much does the roof weigh?

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 12 Apr 2014, 6:32 pm

Hi Anne, it isn't very heavy at all, in winch-terms. Buy the smallest, lightest, lowest-capacity winch you can find, & it'll still have a far greater capacity than you require. Our Ansfold roof weighs about 1cwt, & from memory, the smallest winch I could find lifted 5cwt. A Portafold's roof will be less than 1cwt unless it's been trimmed with carpet or some other very heavy material. If you do any 'sums' required using a weight of 1cwt (that's about 50kg if you're a metric person) you shouldn't go wrong. Remember, 1cwt is the TOTAL weight of the roof; you're winching 1 end at a time so it's effectively only half that, from the winch's point of view.

The only reason I chose to use a winch at all on mine, was to get the reduction-gear which enabled me to shorten the cranking handle. If I'd been prepared to use a crank of, say, 8" throw, I could have wound my rope straight onto the crank-axle & wouldn't have needed to BUY anything. The shorter the crank arm, the closer the winch can be to the moving roof-panel without the roof handle getting fouled by the crank, & any other bits of caravan in that area (these vary according to layout of individual 'vans). Could you turn the crank-axle through 90degrees, so it's longitudinal to the van instead of across it like I've done mine? Then the handle could stay in front of the vertical pillar all the way round its 'swing', & out the way!

Just a thought......

Steve Lord

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon, 14 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

Many thanks for this information and your extremely helpful photos. I will photo mine when finished and share with everyone. I will have a crack at most things but draw the line at welding so I have bought in some professional help. He may be able to do the same for others who lack the skills. Anyway, I will let you know.

It is a shame that the "Gathering"s are so far in the south as it means us northerners don't tend to gather. However I will be at Shrewsbury Folk Festival if any other portafold enthusiasts are out there!

Cheers
Anne

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm

Anne wrote:It is a shame that the "Gathering"s are so far in the south as it means us northerners don't tend to gather.
Anne, last year we did have a Portafold from Wrexham and one from Wigan attend the National Gathering. And this year we've got one coming from Saltburn (North Yorkshire), Wrexham, Birmingham, Paignton, Cumbria and two from Nottingham.

Add to that Bernie & Heidi from Manchester came down to our little gathering at the Goodwood Revival last September, and I brought my Portafold and Anglia all the way up to Tatton Park last August, there's good North/South cross-breeding! :lol:
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!