The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

New portafold owner - a few questions for the experienced re-vampers

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
spicylentils

New portafold owner - a few questions for the experienced re-vampers

Post by spicylentils » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 8:47 pm

Hi to all,

I am very pleased to be a portafold owner and part of this great community. thank you

I have just bought a new portafold, the inside is a blank canvas so far.

I would like some advice please?:

What type of paint have you used inside on the walls, and the storage area? mine is currently emulsion (yellow), was hoping to brighten it up with white on the walls and behind the foam padding, and grey on the storage area, but unsure which paint to use?

What material have you used for the kitchen surface area? it has to be strong enough for me to fit a sink and a gas camping stove but also be able to chop vegetables on it?

what size have you cut for the kitchen surface? as I am aware that it needs to fit in the walk way when it is down as a trailor?

Has anyone drilled a hole at the back shelf (tow end) for gas pipe and water waste to go outside? is this safe (being fibre glass)?

Any pictures of kitchen areas and pipes would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED :)

thank you for your time and sorry for bombarding questions, I really hope to get it done in time for the 10th anniversary, and really look forward to meeting fellow portafold enthusiasts.

thanks again

Michelle :thumbup:

Frothy Man

Re: New portafold owner - a few questions for the experienced re-vampers

Post by Frothy Man » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 3:15 pm

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Portafold ownership. Not long before the Gathering where I'm sure many of your questions can be answered face to face and a great opportunity to look at other Portafolds and see what people have done. The options appear to be endless and there is always some interesting adaptation to see.

My experience is to avoid domestic paints, emulsions and the like inside as they tend to flake but they are not easy to get off entirely. I have used marine paint and flowcoat in a number of applications inside and out, both give good results for the use I have put them to. Neither is particularly cheap and they have their own challenges with ventilation while using them but after days of scrubbing and jet washing any emulsion off you will see the benefits!

Not sure about the kitchen as we have the sink unit. We have a camping kitchen unit that we use in the awning. I have seen alsorts used for the sink area from hardboard to laminate and glass fibre sheet.

We have a hole in the centre of the rear of the Portafold on the flat surface below the window where our sink waste pipe escapes. It works well, there is no issue I am aware of or have experienced with regard to the structure. However if drilling a hole remember that fibreglass does itch and is not very pleasant so gloves and other sensible precautions PPE will keep you itch free.

My Portafold is collapsed at the moment and in storage so pics are difficult but again, the gathering is not far off.

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards

John