The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Fibreglass repairs

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
knottyknitter

Fibreglass repairs

Post by knottyknitter » Thu, 15 May 2008, 8:54 pm

Well the time has come to tackle to holes in the bodywork but before I start any tips or do's and don'ts out there?

I have the following repairs to tackle;

* Small split in wall where she wasn't folded properly (not me, honest :lol: )
* Lots of cracks and splits and flaky areas around the roof edge especially around the metal bits.

Wold I be better to run a line of new fibreglass around the edge of the roof to strengthen it?

Also any good recommended products for cleaning, polishing and repairing gel coat?

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 16 May 2008, 3:09 pm

I've got, but haven't used yet, a tube of 'Plastic Padding Gelcoat Filler'. Looks like the right stuff and the guy who sold it to me said it would do the trick.

Other than that I'm a gelcoat virgin as well.

Have you tried chatting up your local boat repairer? Always a good source of info.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

txfsealord

Fibreglass repairs

Post by txfsealord » Sun, 20 Jul 2008, 2:08 pm

Hi all,

Found this site in an article in 'The Automobile' magazine about old fibreglass car-body restoration:

http://www.wessex-resins.com

I've not seen it on here & I haven't looked it over properly yet either; could be very useful though, I hope. They sell books on how it's done without necessarily having to buy their kit. That's always attractive to me, as knowing what to buy is often harder to solve than actually getting hold of a product. Not that I've tried their stuff, or indeed anyone else's - I meant it can be hard to identify the best fix for a fault.

Steve