The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Door adjustment

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Chris

Door adjustment

Post by Chris » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

Can anybody tell me if both top and bottom door should go fully open together? On my Portafold if I hook the top door open the bottom door catches on it and won't go right back. Is it just a case if adjusting them?

Thanks,
Chris.

Admin

Re: Door adjustment

Post by Admin » Wed, 29 Apr 2015, 11:22 am

I would never recommend opening both doors together, as it rarely works out OK and you'll just end up with crunching and breaking fibreglass. I would always open the top door first, then the bottom one.

If the top half is open, the bottom should in most circumstances open wide enough to sit level with the top half, but it's a Portafold, so it may not work and it may sit in front of it.

You can buy hinge pin kits (http://portafold.co.uk/parts_and_spares ... n_kit.html) to refurb the doors, so that might help with the way they hang.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

fuzzyface

Post by fuzzyface » Wed, 29 Apr 2015, 8:29 pm

How much adjustment is there on the door hinges? Those pins look the same as the ones fitted to my Morris van rear doors. The hinges are bolted through holes that are larger than the bolts giving quite a bit of movement to adjust. In an extreme case I have cut one of the brass balls in half and used a thin brass washer to space out the two halves of the ball.

Admin

Post by Admin » Wed, 29 Apr 2015, 8:51 pm

Yep, they're all very similar hinges. I initially thought they were all identical, but just recently someone told me there are different size brass balls.

But I'm quite sure the ones I have on mine are the same as on a Landrover.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

fuzzyface

Post by fuzzyface » Thu, 30 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

Yes, and the wrong size would cause alignment problems. I can see why I may have had so much trouble now. Something to investigate when I get a portafold. :)