The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Cracked Roof

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Snorbs

Cracked Roof

Post by Snorbs » Sat, 12 Apr 2008, 12:01 pm

Hi,

We have some small cracks that have appeared on our Portafold roof, should we be worried about them? :?:

If we should be worried, what could we use to repair them?

Cheers

fibreglasshero

Post by fibreglasshero » Fri, 29 May 2009, 7:14 pm

Hi Snorbs,
We had the same problem with our roof, and I've fixed it with David's Gel Coat Filler. As long as the cracks are only surface crazing, this should do the job.
It is similar to normal car filler, but it is much smoother, dries white, and stays workable for much longer.
If the cracks have penetrated the gel coat, as some of ours had, there is no other fix, but to undercut them back, and to either fill using P38 filler or P40 glass fibre bridging filler, depending on how wide or deep they are.
If they develop into a full blooded split, then the best method I've found, is to glass mat & resin the underside of the roof, and overfill the rooftop.
Hope this is of some help.
Rob
So many repairs, so little time!

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Sun, 31 May 2009, 9:04 am

I'm just in the process of doing this very thing...only trouble is, it's 80% of the roof..... :( On a brighter note, she is looking rather good...or will be when completed! :D

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 12:04 pm

I too have got cracks in the gel-coat but they have occurred because the rear part of the roof has sagged somewhat. There seems to be no apparent cause for this sagging, although someone has fitted a pair of small(ish) Fiamma roof vents at some time - perhaps their weight has proved too much for the moulding although it hasn't actually sagged where they are mounted :? I've noticed others in the Gallery Section which seem to be showing signs of the dreaded sagging but not to the same extent as mine, which is sufficient for a shallow pool of water to collect.

I was considering having the Soda-blaster man remove the paint and old flocking from the underside of the roof; then support the roof upside down on the fins and a third point and use a few weights to encourage it back into shape before glassing a shallow foam rib along the centre-line.

If that works, I might then be able to fill the damn cracks on the outside.

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Tue, 02 Jun 2009, 12:33 pm

He he, chin up mate...personally I think it's an Island thing!! lol maybe it's all this salt water...if my fibreglassing doesn't work I am considering converting it into a dinghy.... :lol: :lol:

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed, 03 Jun 2009, 12:20 pm

The sea water in our veins could be an excuse for our weakness for these Portafold things, but what excuse are the rest of this lot going to give........ :lol:

txfsealord

Excuses

Post by txfsealord » Wed, 03 Jun 2009, 6:37 pm

I've got an even feebler excuse; I saw ours looking very folorn by the roadside & felt sorry for it! buddy-thing, how sad can you get?!

Re sagging roofs; ours had the inner lining only turned inside-out at the back. I had some light-gauge 1/2" steel tubing, & made 2 off shaped roof-arches like the ones used in some '50s cars to support their head-linings. I welded spreader-plates to the tube ends & bolted them under the lining on the vertical roof sides. Works a treat, & gives excellent places for attaching lights, etc. when erected as well.

Steve

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Wed, 03 Jun 2009, 7:20 pm

Oo that sounds an excellent idea, but a lot of work...not sure my technical know how would run to this... :?

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu, 04 Jun 2009, 4:23 pm

Inner roof lining - what inner roof lining? :o I thought that the underside of Portafold roofs were flocked (try and say that after a few sherbets!)? - or in my case flocked and painted, a lot!

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 04 Jun 2009, 4:34 pm

Supposed to be, but not many still exist. I'm lucky(?) enough to still have mine. No one took a paint brush to it.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!