The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Cracked Roof

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
txfsealord

Roof-linings

Post by txfsealord » Thu, 04 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

Do remember I've got an Ansfold not Portafold - is it, perhaps, only Annies which had this inner lining, due to their simpler roof-shape? I've never looked closely enough at a Porty to notice this - Matt, can you comment please?

This might well explain (to me, that is) everyone's preoccupation with dampness, sweating & being dripped-on at night! I painted my roof inside with a very thin layer of celly topcoat, being the lightest finishing treatment I could think of, as my roof is so very heavy. This has zero anti-sweat resistance, yet in chilly & rainy nights, there's never been any sign of condensation/dampness whatsoever. My mate Alan (Anorakite) who also has an Ansfold, is similarly indifferent to internal sweating.

We do our sweating, however, when erecting them!

Steve

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Thu, 04 Jun 2009, 9:41 pm

Hello all,

I have just finished covering my roof with foam backed car headlining, cost around £70 including 6 tins of adhesive. You just cut to shape and glue straight on to the fibreglass, makes a great job and is not hard to do.

I will post pictures soon,

Regards, Fraser.

Admin

Re: Roof-linings

Post by Admin » Fri, 05 Jun 2009, 9:13 am

txfsealord wrote:...is it, perhaps, only Annies which had this inner lining, due to their simpler roof-shape? I've never looked closely enough at a Porty to notice this - Matt, can you comment please?
From what I know all the Portafolds had a single skin roof. This was ok because there was a good amount of strength being provided by the fins etc. Once they 'modernised' the roof and made the Ansfold they found that the fins were there not just for decoration, they were a design feature to stop the roof sagging. Therefore the Ansfolds had to have double skin roofs. Not sure if they all have but certainly the later ones do.

It's things like this where my respect for the designers goes up yet another few notches!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Ian

Post by Ian » Fri, 05 Jun 2009, 10:30 am

Strange that - my Portafold roof has sagged between the fins rather than at the fin-free end, which is fine.

Ian

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 05 Jun 2009, 10:43 am

Ah yes, saying that, I do have a slight dip in the roof of mine between the fins on one side of the centre ridge. Nothing major but you can see it when you catch the light on it.

That extra skin on the Ansfold must be why Steve's roof is so heavy and the Portafold's roof is lighter. Obviously the original design was done for strength and lightness.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!