The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Wall hinges

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
The Gomersalls

Wall hinges

Post by The Gomersalls » Wed, 01 Oct 2014, 3:58 pm

I know this subject has been covered before but replacing all the wall hinges is another job which we need to do quite urgently, the picture shows what we have, the original hinge pins are all missing and sometime in the past a previous owner has added another set of alternative hinges which have also failed on one side.

Does this look anything like yours before you replaced the hinges (excluding the extra hinges) does anyone know what the dark brown stuff is?

Should we just drill out the rivets and put in new hinges or will some fibre glassing be needed first?

Can we use rivets on the wall and nuts and bolts to attach to the base as I think we will need to redo the supports under the van at some stage and this would save it having to be re drilled out each time.

Hope some one can give us some good advice.

Marie
15410654182_4e35b3d0b7_c.jpg

Admin

Re: Wall hinges

Post by Admin » Wed, 01 Oct 2014, 7:48 pm

Firstly, I now have the hinges in stock, email me to order them.

Then replace one at a time, to try and maintain the exact position that they're in. You shouldn't need to do any fibreglass work at all, just don't go mad drilling out the rivets, make sure you don't open out the holes if you can help it. You should be able to drill them out, remove the hinge, clean it up and rivet in the new hinge. You'll need countersunk stainless rivets and a big rivet gun! I also have the rivets in stock now.

Then once the wall is secured, get rid of those additional hinges!

No idea what the brown stuff is, but once you've replaced the hinges and oiled them up, clean up the brown stuff and then place a strip of waterproof gaffer tape over the gap and hinges, to seal the gap between the base and wall.

And stick to using rivets on the hinges, bolts will get in the way of your cushions and may tear them. They won't hinder you doing any work on the legs at all. You can get to them through the lockers. But you can do those without removing the final piece of the leg from the underside of the body. The bolts that are holding the leg to the body are actually glassed over inside the lockers to give them extra strength so best to leave the last piece in situ if possible.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

The Gomersalls

Post by The Gomersalls » Wed, 01 Oct 2014, 8:04 pm

Ok great stuff we had thought doing them one at a time would be easiest, we'll get some hinges ordered.

Admin

Post by Admin » Sun, 11 Dec 2016, 12:10 am

Both the wall hinges and correct sized countersunk rivets are in stock. Email me to place an order.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!