The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Holes......

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
RockabillyBilly

Holes......

Post by RockabillyBilly » Sat, 04 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Hellooooo all, soon I/we/ will be the proud owner/s of a Portafold. Just wondering, will much value be knocked off it if I have to drill holes in it for such things as; water waste, water input, flag holder, fender skirts etc? It's staying here at The Ranch as long as I've got breath in me body but, all the same, I still don't want to butcher it. Any thoughts folks?
Thanks nicely, Billy. :wink:

Admin

Re: Holes......

Post by Admin » Sat, 04 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

As a rule, the more original they are the more money they command, and once it's been drilled whilst it can be filled, in my eyes it's never quite the same as before. I've managed so far to fit a gas bottle, cooker, porta potti, light, leisure battery, all in to mine without drilling any holes.

Water containers can be small enough to fit in the lockers, both fresh and waste, so you can avoid drilling holes there.

Flag holder: you can utilise the end of the verticle awning rail to poke your flags into.

Fender skirts: ? :oops:

The only holes I've had to drill were for the electric hookup. I just couldn't get that into the caravan any other way but I've managed to hide that right underneath the front, next to where the A frame disappears under the caravan. If anyone wanted to remove it in future and fill the holes you'd never see the repairs unless you're flat on your back inspecting the underside.

I know they're very customisable because you can drill and cut GRP very easily but I like the original look, to the bystander at least. If they snoop in my lockers they'll find my modern extras that make it more comfortable to use.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

txfsealord

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 04 Jun 2011, 9:27 pm

Hi Billy, I'm looking forward to meeting you as a fellow Rockabilly enthusiast!

For the water input & waste on our Ansfold I've cut holes in the floor of the locker behind the n/s wheel. These holes are blanked with large plugs when moving. I think these can be seen in the pictures of my gas-fridge installation elsewhere on here. They aren't visible on the outside of the van though, not that anyone would ever buy my van for its originality!

Cheers,

Steve

RockabillyBilly

Post by RockabillyBilly » Sun, 05 Jun 2011, 9:34 am

Thanks folks. I didn't think to say that, if I had to drill any holes, mostly they would be out of sight. :oops: One of the reasons I bought my PA Cresta is that it has been 'messed about with' (engine upgrade) so, the more I mess about with it, I can't knock any more value off it. For instance, I've added a set of Fender Skirts. They were available years ago, mainly for the oversea's market but they're about as rare as talent on Britains Got Talent. Matt; the best way I could describe them is to say they are very much like those on 'Sampo's' Sherman Travelette. You Brit's call 'em 'wheel spats' but because I originally come from *L.A. I know them as Fender Skirts.
Thanks Steve; There's not many of us left! In fact, I'm the only Rockabilly in the village. Not surprising really as the Village I live in is so small the speed limit signs are back to back. Rumour has it they had to murder someone to get the Cemetry started.
Thanks for your replies folks. Billy. :)

* Lower Accrington

txfsealord

Re: Holes...... & Real Music

Post by txfsealord » Sun, 05 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Well if you come to the Wings, Wheels, Speed & Steam event you'll find yourself in a bunch of us! And the Music is the Right, You'll Wanna Boogie-Woogie Every Night.....!

Steve

DanBoy

Post by DanBoy » Sat, 18 Jun 2011, 8:34 am

Glad to hear you've finally got yourself sorted and bought/are buying one Billy. I think that if you drill any holes for practical purposes, like entry for a gas pipe, it can only make the unit more useable. The value is irrelevent if you are happy with it. It's only if you come to sell it you may want to fill the holes for the new owner to keep it original. You have seen the amount of damage that I had to repair on mine but it was either fill it or scrap it and I know which one I preferred! :thumbup:

RockabillyBilly

Post by RockabillyBilly » Sat, 18 Jun 2011, 1:22 pm

Thanks folks. Well, a bit of an up-date (and a tiny rant) I saw a Portafold on FleaBay, rang the person up to ask about it, he asked me what would I pay for it, I told him, he laughed, we came to an agreed price, he told me to send him a cheque for the full amount, I did (I know, I know but, I'm a trusting type of chap and I treat people like I'd like to be treated) anyway, sent cheque, in the meantime booked a B&B in the persons area (about 250 miles from my house) cheque cleared and, 3 days before we were due to set off, said gentleman rang and told me his wife/partner/ whatever, told him off for selling it so now, it wasn't for sale anymore! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... :cry: He wrote me a cheque out and, all is normal again....apart from the fact the Portafold me and ShellyWell set our hearts on that was ours for a few days, is now not ours. :?

But, ya never know whats round the corner.......unless you happen to have one of them devices that enables you to see round corners :wave:

Thanks for the replies so far and I hope your keeping well Dan. :thumbup:

Tata fer now, Billy