The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Wiring in a plug for trailer lights

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
harrys engines

Wiring in a plug for trailer lights

Post by harrys engines » Tue, 22 Jun 2010, 9:29 pm

Having just got a towbar for our trusty Citroen ZX...I now need to wire in the plug for the lights on the trailer and caravan...How the hell is this done please :shifty:

Admin

Re: Wiring in a plug for trailer lights

Post by Admin » Tue, 22 Jun 2010, 10:21 pm

Dead simple, I thought it would be a nightmare when I did my first one but actually it was a lot easier than I thought. What you'll be wiring up is the basic N type socket, the S socket is the auxiliary one that can be used to charge your battery, keep your fridge powered etc. when you have a big posh modern caravan.

Just take the corresponding wires from the back of the 'N' socket into the boot of your car and splice into the correct cable feeding the relevant light. If you can, take time to do it properly with solder and a heat shrink tube over the join and it'll pay for itself in the long run. If you do it the cheap and quick way using cable splice connectors you'll spend ages hunting for breaks if a light fails on you. And don't forget to use a wire grommet where the towing cable wire enters the boot, otherwise it'll chafe against the hole you've drilled.

Wiring diagram for the N type socket:
nplugwiring.gif
It would be a good idea to wire in the fog light even though a Portafold doesn't need one due to its age. In future you might use the car for towing something else and you'll wish you'd wired it in!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

harrys engines

Re: Wiring in a plug for trailer lights

Post by harrys engines » Tue, 06 Jul 2010, 9:36 pm

done. thought i did well for a beginner!