The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Rubber trims

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Timthetrader

Rubber trims

Post by Timthetrader » Mon, 31 May 2010, 12:33 pm

I had my portafold painted and when it came back all the rubber trims where left in the storage units but I've no idea where to put them! Help and pic's would be great.

Timthetrader

Re: Rubber trims

Post by Timthetrader » Thu, 15 Jul 2010, 5:36 pm

Well no replies hmm anyway can someone please tell me what trim does the roof have ie is there a trim on the edging or glued inside

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Thu, 15 Jul 2010, 8:50 pm

I'd like to know that as well, I've got a big gap around the top of the walls and the roof. Mind you, whether it needs the ventilation??
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

txfsealord

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 16 Jul 2010, 6:16 pm

Hi Tim,

Sorry no-one's answered your request. I have an Ansfold myself which is why I didn't answer it when you first posted. On that, there are 4 off U-section rubbers, one down the edge of each end-panel. These are "solid rubbers" as opposed to "foam rubber". On the top of the hull, at each end, there is foam rubber strip, about 1/4" thick x 5/8" wide, on which the end-walls seat when erected. These foams (they're actually foam cores faced with a thin layer of solid rubber) have short end-pieces closing the gaps at each end of the front wall, each end of the rear & each side of the door. Around each opening window & around the upper doorway, there's a flexible plastic moulding, white coloured U-section, which finishes the joint with the inner quilted lining. The door-window has ordinary motor glazing-strip (like a short length of BMC Mini windscreen rubber seal) holding it in the door; this has the usual locking-strip in it.

There aren't any seals between the roof & the walls. As I said, this is on the Ansfold; when I first tried ours, there were large gaps at both ends, unless the sides were allowed to sit within the roof so they overlapped their central latches. This turned out to be caused by the sag in my hull, making the end walls too low compared to the sides. Once I'd attended to the sagging, the roof & walls fitted each other nicely without need of seals. Even on windy nights the van is draught-free, yet has adequate ventilation on still, muggy days.

I hope this is of use to you,

Steve Lord