The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Classic Caravan Gathering - Official UK Record Attempt

Pictures from and chat about shows you've been to.
Admin

Classic Caravan Gathering - Official UK Record Attempt

Post by Admin » Tue, 19 Jan 2010, 9:04 pm

Help Break the UK Record!

Come along to the Classic Caravan Gathering at the Stapleford Miniature Railway on August Bank Holiday Weekend and help break the UK record for the most classic caravans together in one place. The current UK record is only 54 (the current world record is 170). It should be easily achievable as (before it was moved to Beaulieu) we alone (portafold.co.uk) were due to have 24 Portafolds and Ansfolds at Wroughton last year.

More details of the actual record attempt can be found below, but I'll mention my info first.

portafold.co.uk will be having a stand at the show as the organiser has confirmed we can have as many caravans there as we want. The show will be free for all exhibitors, that's free entry and free camping. Should a member of the public, or a friend that hasn't got a classic caravan, want to stay there will be on-site public camping available for £20 for the weekend. For all campers (exhibitors or public) there will tardis toilets and water taps but no electrical hook-ups. There will be a beer tent and food on site till 11pm, train rides available on the miniature railway, steam fairground organs, traction engines and the usual steam show type exhibits. You can stay on site until Bank Holiday Monday if you wish to make a long weekend of the event, and you can arrive on Friday evening by prior arrangement. And my usual stand rules apply; you must have a fire extinguisher and a fire bucket when displaying your Portafold or Ansfold. Whilst the show will be free for all exhibitors, the organisers are asking for a simple gesture of a raffle prize. They have also asked that all exhibitors have a public liability insurance policy with indemnity of not less than £1,000,000. If you don't already have this in place I can arrange a whole year's cover for just £4.00. The raffle takings and all proceeds from the show will be donated to the shows designated charity the Leicestershire and Rutland Hospice, http://www.loros.co.uk

The Record:

It is an attempt to set a new UK record for the amount of classic caravans (must be 30 years old) in one place, at one time, on display to the public.

The Venue:

The venue Stapleford Miniature Railway, Stapleford Park, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE14 2SF.

The Time:

The record is to take place over a period of 24 hours starting Saturday 28th August 2010 at 7pm and to end on Sunday 29th August 2010 at 7pm.

Eligibility:

To be eligible to take part in this record event your caravan must fit the following criteria:

1) Your caravan must be built before August 1980. If your caravan is a replica of an earlier model caravan it still must have been built before August 1980, regardless of the age of caravan it is supposed to reflect. i.e. a copy of a 1954 caravan built in 1978 is acceptable, but a copy of a 1926 caravan built in 1981 will not be eligible. Also, proof of its build date will be required to meet invigilators’ satisfaction. We don’t want to be accused of cheating do we!

2) Be in a clean, safe and presentable condition.

3) Be covered by public liability insurance.

4) Be prepared to comply with the rules (see below) for a world record attempt.

Rules:

The rules are fairly simple. The record says that all caravans must be fit for purpose and be used for a period of 24 hours for living in. This means that all caravans must be towed onto the site, and not trailered. i.e. towed by a car or lorry by the tow hitch or as with a horse drawn caravan, pulled by a horse onto the site. Although horse drawn can be trailered as far as the site behind a vehicle. Then the caravan must be slept in by at least one person over 18 yrs old and be on display to the general public the following day.

and The Stapleford Miniature Railway website:

http://www.fsmr.org.uk/
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

hattytheherald

Re: Classic Caravan Gathering - Official World Record Attempt

Post by hattytheherald » Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 9:50 pm

This sounds great and we will be checking the dates to see if we can make it.

One question Matthew - how do we prove the build date of our Portafolds? It does say that the aducicators want proof. Will the fact that they haven't been made for years be enough, along with the chassis numbers??????

Can we set our own mini record for the number of Portafolds in one place??

Vanessa

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

Basically, the only caravans on our stand that might need to provide proof would be the last built Ansfold models. But as the last one I have on my database at the moment is dated June 1980, even that one scrapes in by a couple of months. As you know what I'm like at shows, I'll be collecting chassis numbers on the day anyway so i'll be aware of any that might possibly not meet the criteria for the record.

And as for our own record, it should be easy to set a new one. All the people 'up norf' who have been asking about us doing a stand at a show closer to them now have an opportunity to meet the southerners from the forum!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

hattytheherald

Post by hattytheherald » Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm

Admin wrote:As you know what I'm like at shows...
Oh yes, be warned all you Northerners, he walks round with a tape measure and a notepad and a Blue Peter badge for collecting Portafolds facts.

So who's up for the convoy up the M1?

Vanessa

sibsysaab

Post by sibsysaab » Wed, 27 Jan 2010, 6:50 pm

Hello Matt,

Count me in it sounds great, not only a chance to see lots of Portafolds but also other classic caravans and some steam thrown in, I do know the venue and I love it, I will be towing the old girl with my 1932 Ford Model B, it will be a good trip out for her, see you there, Andy and Chris

P.S. Theres some great pubs round there!!

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu, 28 Jan 2010, 1:22 pm

Is Stapleford 'oop norf' because it is only just north of the Wash, or is it Watford these days (not sure where the current 'line' is drawn) :lol: - its a 'beer thing' - the closer to 'the line' the more questionable the brew...... :think:

Hmmm, the eligibility rules are a bit steep for some of us - clean, presentable and liveable - how many of the criteria does the Portafold have to meet, and do the owners have to meet similar standards? :problem: :problem:

Confirmed Northerner

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu, 28 Jan 2010, 1:46 pm

The border has always traditionally been the Watford Gap services on the M1, which for those of you who aren't from that area, isn't anywhere near Watford in Hertfordshire. The Watford in question is a small village just East of the M1 between junctions 16 and 17. Why they didn't call it Daventry services I don't know! :crazy: At least that way it wouldn't get confused with its much larger and far more well known brother less than 60 miles away!

To keep it simple, you could just say anything North of Daventry is classed as 'Up Norf'.

Confirmed Southerner - I'm so far South if I went any further I'd be under water!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

sibsysaab

Post by sibsysaab » Thu, 28 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

I dont know what you suverners are complaining about, we norveners normally spend half our lives travelling sarf to attend shows, I know south africans who get a taxi for 200 miles for night out , we live on a small island compared to them, just fill your tanks and drive a little, we also breath oxygen up here you know and we are not savage anymore,be there or be square!!!

Ian

Post by Ian » Fri, 29 Jan 2010, 5:41 pm

Who says we are not savage anymore? - it depends whether I've had me bacon butty and mug of tea in the morning :lol:

Grumpy northernor

Admin

Post by Admin » Wed, 12 May 2010, 10:03 pm

From another thread:
Reggie wrote:Hi Neil and welcome hope you are getting on with it if you need a lift give me a buz mate :thumbup:

Check this out mate viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272
Are you booked in for Melton Mowbray then Simon?

It'll be good to see you if you are.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk