The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Hubcaps

Chat and Questions on Wheels, Tyres & Hubcaps.
knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Sun, 24 Jun 2007, 10:10 am

Well thanks to you all, Gordon, Petman and Steve. I did win the hubcaps so a big thank you for pointing them out :D

I have no idea if they will fit but when they arrive I'll have a go and let you know how I get on. I think we have a couple of spare mini wheels in the garage and they are slightly different to the ones fitted to my Ansfold. Fingers crossed.

txfsealord

Hubcaps

Post by txfsealord » Tue, 29 Apr 2008, 4:48 pm

Hi, people like me with Ansfold hubcap probs,

In the Sale forum, Matt's put a link to an Ansfold on eBay with an original hubcap (just the one). I don't recognise it as a car 'cap at all, so I assume it came from the axle makers, Rubery Owen.

Anyone else know more? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Steve

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Thu, 15 May 2008, 8:46 pm

Now that the forum is up and running again I thought I would update you on my hubcap search.

Sadly the set of mini ones I won on Ebay did not fit at all - far, far too shallow but I spotted some Eriba Puck ones for 10" wheels and emailed the seller (classicxcarXspares - v helpful) and he said he may be able to machine some and add a cap.

I haven't gone down that route yet ( too busy with wrecked body work) but it might be helpful to know.

Best wishes fellow folders :D

txfsealord

Ansfold hubcaps

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 16 May 2008, 7:42 pm

Hi Knotty, thanks for letting us know, I often wondered how you'd got on with those Cooper hubcaps & I'm sorry to hear they don't fit. Are they stainless steel or mild steel with chrome plate on? If they're stainless - very light, thin-gauge metal, matt-finish on the inside - you could have a go at turning the rim inside-out to increase the depth, that's what I did on my ordinary Mini ones. Hold the hubcap by the edge & press hard against the inside of the "ridge", feel it spring slightly. Move round 1/4" or so & repeat. After several laps of the rim, the hubcap's dish is increased by about 1" on the ordinary Mini cap by this process (may be necessary to rest the thumbs & do over several hours unless you have very strong hands). The ordinary Mini ones won't deepen quite enough, but yours may just do better? I damaged mine in the end by trying to force them in the press but I'd previously done the above quite easily, for quite a promising improvement.

Steve Lord