The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Hubcaps

Chat and Questions on Wheels, Tyres & Hubcaps.
knottyknitter

Hubcaps

Post by knottyknitter » Thu, 07 Jun 2007, 10:10 pm

My Ansfold is missing it's hubcaps. Am I right in thinking I need ones that would fit 10" Mini wheels? Will any style of Mini hubcap fit?

Thanks all!

Gordon McLaren

Hubcaps

Post by Gordon McLaren » Fri, 08 Jun 2007, 3:14 pm

Not sure about ansfolds , but here's what's on my portafold. the wheel rims are stamped next to the studholes with part number 21A2744 , the grease cap for the wheel bearings does not protrude through the centre of the rim.
the hub cap for the above rim is 88G337 , available from e bay , www.minispares.com etc. just fitted 2 wheel embellishers (outer trims) part number 21A2743 ( from e bay) , these fit perfect on my rims.
cheers gordon

txfsealord

Ansfold hubcaps

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 08 Jun 2007, 6:07 pm

Hi, on my Ansfold the hubs are too long for the normally-encountered Mini hubcaps. I haven't tried the early ones, which were integral with their rim embellishers, because these used to cut the valves sometimes! I'm in the process of making a small press-tool to increase the depth of the later cap (by reversing the slope of the outer rim) & I'll report on the success or otherwise of this when I've done it. I'm currently struggling to achieve a usable 'van in time for my car-club's national rally in July, so this probably won't be till after that.

Steve

txfsealord

Ansfold Hubcaps

Post by txfsealord » Mon, 18 Jun 2007, 7:09 pm

Hi Knotty, not very successful on the pressing-hubcaps front I'm afraid. Thinks maybe I'm too ambitious, but then the bloke who never made a mistake, never made anything else either! The caps were quite happy to go to a dish depth of 1 3/8", obtaining the extra metal needed by straightening out the dished crease in the face. To get more than this,the outside of the rim was in compression, & because it wasn't supported, it kinked. I've tapped out the kinks & they do go on over my hubs, but pretty they ain't.

I'm not giving up though... after my trip in July I'll rethink it & have another go, I'll keep you posted!

Got to go & change the clutch on the car now....always something isn't there?

PS Saw a Mini-wheeled trailer with the very early Mini hubcaps on it the other day. I've not seen them for ages, these are the ones with the embellisher all in one, which I've seen cut the valves. They do have a good deep dish in them though, try ebay for a pair perhaps?
Steve

petman

Post by petman » Mon, 18 Jun 2007, 10:47 pm

mines fitted with standard mini chrome trims as described above, but they have a space for the valve as standard :lol:

had a look on ebay and found some

make sure your wheels have the hubcap "nipples" before buying :lol:

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Wed, 20 Jun 2007, 8:43 pm

Thanks all for the invaluable information. It is the depth that I'm worried about. I saw a set of 4 for about £30 on Ebay but didn't want to waste my money if they were too shallow.

Petman - thanks for the top tip on Ebay. I think I'll take a punt on them and if they fit then I'll offer up the other pair on here.

Steve - most impressed with your effort. It will have to be off-the-shelf for me though (and I also wish I could change a clutch - must save a small fortune on garage costs)

If anyone finds a definitive source that will definately fit then let us know. In the meantime Ebay it is!

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Wed, 20 Jun 2007, 8:45 pm

petman wrote:mines fitted with standard mini chrome trims as described above, but they have a space for the valve as standard :lol:

had a look on ebay and found some

make sure your wheels have the hubcap "nipples" before buying :lol:
Only just noticed the last bit - I will indeed check my nipples before purchasing!

txfsealord

Nipples?

Post by txfsealord » Thu, 21 Jun 2007, 11:27 am

Interesting point about nipples, Petman, I hadn't seen it either till Knotty emphasised it! All the Mini wheels I've ever seen have had the pressed-in "bumps" in the hubcap rim. So the hubcap slides over the rim itself. The nipples to which you allude must be on some trailer rims, I'd guess, rather than actual Mini ones. So my immediate thought is, turn up some nipples on the lathe, with threaded ends perhaps, then drill & tap the bumps on the Mini rims to accept them. By doing this one could space the 'caps out to any suitable distance, or, by altering the diameter of the ring of nipples, fit any convenient hubcap, within reason! I wonder why I didn't think of that....never mind.

I wonder if I could persuade the Mini rims to accept the same hubcaps as my Morris! That'd be really good! Seriously though, if it works it'd be a good answer to the Ansfold hubcap problem. In that case I'd be happy to make nipple-sets for others if anyone's interested.

By the way, Knotty, I saw you got those Mini Cooper ones, well done. I didn't bid against you. Would you measure the depth of them, please, & let us know?

Steve

petman

Post by petman » Thu, 21 Jun 2007, 9:56 pm

I'm talking about the mini wheels with 3 "nipples" or bumps, as seen on this wheel
Black Wheel.JPG

txfsealord

Wheel nipples

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 22 Jun 2007, 7:47 am

Thanks for the pic, Petman, seems I have a genius for misunderstanding! That's the standard Mini rim, as of course you know. I thought you meant the locators often found on 1950s pressed-steel wheels. These were riveted or welded to the wheel after it was pressed as manufacturing processes were less developed then & it wasn't possible to do hubcap bumps as part of the press process. (Sorry I don't know how to put a picture link on here).

I presume your original point was - modern rims don't have hubcaps, so no bumps?