The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Insurance

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
phunkie hiboy

Insurance

Post by phunkie hiboy » Tue, 03 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

Just a quick question to all you Portafold owners out there, have you got your pride and joy insured and if so what cover, who with, what sort of cost and is it under an agreed value scheme?
Thanks in advance for any information.

:wave:
Built without compromise by the more luck than judgement method

bigbird

Re: Insurance

Post by bigbird » Tue, 03 Jul 2012, 11:05 pm

Hi there, I use 'Shield Insurance'...it costs me approx £56 a year and is agreed value. :clap:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

phunkie hiboy

Post by phunkie hiboy » Wed, 04 Jul 2012, 6:19 am

bigbird wrote:Hi there, I use 'Shield Insurance'...it costs me approx £56 a year and is agreed value. :clap:
Thank you. Who do you get to do the valuation?
Built without compromise by the more luck than judgement method

Admin

Post by Admin » Wed, 04 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Wed, 04 Jul 2012, 1:49 pm

Whether it's right or wrong, I just approximated the value at £1k, because I knew I'd spent 'at least' that on the caravan. I'm a little bit lapse on these things really, as we have so many vehicles to insure, I just get the best value for the lowest price, I can't afford to do it any other way....They seem to be a very good company and I've been insured with them for three years now...however, I guess you only find out just 'how' good they are, in the event of a claim :shifty:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

Ambubird

Post by Ambubird » Fri, 06 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

I joined the camping & caravan club who do insurance. Paid £45 per year for an agreed value of 2k.

Big bird, have you got a tow bar on your Smart car? I'm tempted to tow the Portafold with mine!

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Mon, 09 Jul 2012, 5:56 pm

Hi there, Ambubird..yes i do indeed have a tow bar on my Smart, however, I would definitely not advise towing the Portafold with it.

I have two reasons for saying this.... Despite the Portafold towing like a dream, (and it does) we towed it to Hastings and during a Hilly part it nearly burnt out the clutch on the manual Volvo....so it goes without saying that you need a reasonable sized engine and secondly, at a guess it would rip out the subframe on the smart...My husband fitted the tow bar and I had a look at the underside, you really shouldn't tow anything too heavy, it's an odd construction under there.... We just use the ball hitch to tow a very light trailer (like an erde) with just a bit of grass clippings in, or to put a scissor bike rack on.

Hope this helps and I do know where you are coming from though, had I not had the experience with the Volvo and the Portafold, I probably would have been tempted too...don't do it!! :lol:

Ambubird

Post by Ambubird » Mon, 09 Jul 2012, 7:37 pm

:D Warning taken!!
We have a small trailer we could tow, I'll leave the Portafold to the bigger van.

We're off on our first trip next week, very exciting & a little bit worried. Haven't used my splitty to tow the Portafold yet. Might be the slowest trip we've ever had! :oops:

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Mon, 09 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

I tow ours with a Dub T4, it tows like a dream!! Have a great time! :D