The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

What Do You Tow Yours With?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
Keef

Re: Your caravan

Post by Keef » Fri, 29 May 2009, 8:25 pm

txfsealord wrote:Interesting little van, what is it?
Just found out it's a "mini motel".

http://portafold.co.uk/history.html :-

"Portaplas was set up specifically to manufacture the Portafold after the company producing a smaller two berth folding caravan, called the Mini-Motel, decided they didn't want to meet the demand for a larger berth caravan by designing and producing a new four berth version."

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/ph ... 2e461ca685
Keef - Dartford Kent UK
62 A40 Farina (Yoko)
65 VdP 1100 (JJ)
69 Austin Maxi (Wilma)
74 Austin Maxi (Kory)
79 Austin Maxi (Julie)
79 Austin Maxi (Kevin)
80 Austin Maxi (Mork)

451CDi

Post by 451CDi » Sat, 30 May 2009, 10:00 pm

Hello everyone, I too have just joined this forum with a view to finding the Portafold of my dreams, and no, I hadn't been at the strong cheese that night....

I shall be towing it with my very original 1972 Triumph Dolomite Automatic.
Before fitting the bracketry and the electrics, I shall need to source and fit a transmission cooler as these BW65s, although very tough little gearboxes, will overheat when the cars are used for towing, even something that light!

But I doubt that the car (weight 907Kg) will even notice that there's something attached to its rear end since that good old Ricardo/Saab/Triumph slant four has the thick end of 100bhp and, more importantly for this towing lark, loads of torque.

Expect me to ask lots of questions (some of them possibly quite silly, but I'm new) of you before I settle for a van of my own. Ideally, I don't want something that's anything like perfect, I'd actually enjoy having a restoration to get stuck into since this car was bought, sight unseen, last year, has so far covered 9000 miles with me, with no trouble at all and, worst bit of all, has absolutely no rot to test my restoration fetish! :( :wink:
John

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Sun, 31 May 2009, 9:00 am

Hi John, I've got a 1969 Triumph Spitfire, which when I do her up (for the fourth time)...yep I've owned her for 30 years)) I am thinking of adding a tow hitch...I know, it sounds cruel, but I think she can tow the Portafold, what do you think?? :?

451CDi

Post by 451CDi » Sun, 31 May 2009, 9:54 am

I don't see why not, assuming the Spitfire has an original (manual) gearbox and doesn't have a 1500 engine.
A 1200 or 1300 small journal engine would manage well though, I've pulled a Sprite Alpine with a Herald 13/60 before now and that wasn't at all a troublesome task. :wink:
John

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Sun, 31 May 2009, 4:19 pm

That's interesting John, I'm afraid my Spitfire is somewhat of a curiosity. She is entirely original except for the 1296 engine. The crank split in two just after 100k and my brother replaced her with a standard 'Triumph 1500' engine from a 1970 1500 that was available at the local scrappy, this was way back in 1983. The gearbox is the same one as with the 1296, and to be honest could do with a strip down!

451CDi

Post by 451CDi » Sun, 31 May 2009, 4:26 pm

:shock: That's a heck of a lot of work; fitting the engine from a FWD to the rwd Spitfire gearbox! Still, if a 1500 has lasted this long, chances are it's a miraculous survivor. When I used to fix BL stuff on a regular basis, we quite often had 1500s and big-journal 1300s back for regrinds under warranty!

I'd seriously consider fitting an original-spec engine, or that from a 13/60 if you're planning to tow with it though. Marginally less torque but much more usable power band and a lot harder to break. :D :wink:
John

Inky

Post by Inky » Thu, 10 Sep 2009, 10:57 pm

my new tow car a 1960 PA Cresta
BY-bPSQWkKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmTeZqBKkZ4D1.jpg

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Fri, 11 Sep 2009, 10:13 am

JPB wrote::shock: That's a heck of a lot of work; fitting the engine from a FWD to the rwd Spitfire gearbox! Still, if a 1500 has lasted this long, chances are it's a miraculous survivor. When I used to fix BL stuff on a regular basis, we quite often had 1500s and big-journal 1300s back for regrinds under warranty!

I'd seriously consider fitting an original-spec engine, or that from a 13/60 if you're planning to tow with it though. Marginally less torque but much more usable power band and a lot harder to break. :D :wink:
Sorry John, only just noticed your reply on here...I guess I'm better late than never..he he. My brother did his apprenticeship in our local Triumph dealership in the 60's and knew the car from sale, he stayed there for twenty years before moving onto BT....(better pension) anyway, I digress, he knew these cars inside out, so it wasn't a problem messing about with it. However, I think when I last saw him he did mention 'NEVER' working on it again...he he.... :lol:
Harley Davidson 1340, Smartcar, 1969 MKIII Triumph Spitfire, Matilda the Portafold and Marvin the Combi Camp...

Timthetrader

Post by Timthetrader » Sun, 11 Oct 2009, 3:47 pm

First post so welcome all.

I bought my Portafold last week to use with my VW T25 but I also have a V8 4lt Disco but I think I would forget it was there if I towed it with the V8 so camper it is! I'm just havin the Porta resprayed to match the camper and can't wait to get it back next week!

bootrodder

Re: What do you tow yours with?

Post by bootrodder » Thu, 24 Dec 2009, 1:10 pm

I tow my '77 Ansfold behind my '47 Mercury Street Rod. 302 (5 litre) Ford V8 & auto, makes towing easy.
I took them to the NASC NATS last August bank holiday weekend in Ipswich (300 miles each way).
There were plenty Portafolds & Ansfolds there, together with several classic caravans & teardrops.
Merc-Portafold02.jpg