The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

What Do You Tow Yours With?

Any talk that's not covered by the other forums.
Sara

What Do You Tow Yours With?

Post by Sara » Fri, 10 Nov 2006, 10:43 pm

I thought i'd start a thread to see what an interesting array of vehicles tow your Portafolds and Ansfolds.

I'll start it off with ours:

1965 Ford Anglia 105e - modified with a 1600 x-flow engine :D
2003 Nissan Micra 1.2 automatic :oops:
1983 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1970 Series 2a swb 2.25 petrol landrover

Snorbs

Post by Snorbs » Sat, 11 Nov 2006, 5:24 pm

:D I dont tow ours as i don't have a towbar, but i know a man that does.
I own Ford Anglia 105e and a Wolseley Hornet called Cyril, alas it still doesn't move or stop...just a minor problem :cry:

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat, 11 Nov 2006, 5:28 pm

But i do tow ours with a Ford Model A Delivery van :shock: and sometimes with a :oops: Vectra :oops:

Ean

Post by Ean » Tue, 14 Nov 2006, 7:41 pm

Land Rover Defender 90 or 1958 Land Rover series 1 (when not in bits on the drive) Also tow a 1978 Viking Fibreline Caravan. Use the Portafold for the odd night when visiting friends although a friend of mine lived in it for a month in September, whilst attending a course near Chesterfield.

Admin

Post by Admin » Tue, 14 Nov 2006, 8:47 pm

Ean,

A month? Did he live in it or just sleep in it?

I can manage a couple of nights on the trott but a month would be pushing it. I need my home comforts!

Ean

Post by Ean » Wed, 15 Nov 2006, 9:49 pm

He lived in it. his other option was to camp so the portafold was quite luxurious. I have built a small fold up kitchen area (to the right of the door as you enter) out of 1 x 1 inch pine and a sheet of aluminium 5 bar tread plate. Camping stove, small sink and running water via a foot pump. Our friends always refer to the Portafold as ''the portaloo'' which always makes me laugh.

paul~3

what do you tow yours with ?

Post by paul~3 » Thu, 30 Nov 2006, 7:58 pm

Hello fellow Folders. Ive probably put up to be knocked down but, i tow mine with a Reliant Rialto, feels fine, not ideal but works very well and not far off my maesto (previous car) for performance. Fuel consumptions good, avg 45.. best 64 mpg. Local steam / classic events are where i go with the midland events (dave hoyles) crew displaying the old gal, its amazing how many people want them. :D
See my portafolds here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26942080@N02/2521414758/

Gordon McLaren

towing car

Post by Gordon McLaren » Thu, 21 Dec 2006, 6:40 am

i just bought my portafold recently , having travelled down from perthshire to just near leicester , approx 380miles . on towing back home was amazed , as managed 41mpg with my fiesta 1.4 , averaging about 55-60mph all the way. great to have a site where you can swap ideas , experiences etc.

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Sun, 07 Jan 2007, 5:12 pm

Hello all,

Good to see another Portafold here in Scotland!

Gordon, if you need any help or just a chat send me an email, we got ours last July from a place called Yorton Heath just north of Shrewsbury, quite a long trek as well!

We towed it back with my Vauxhall Carlton estate car without any problems, hardly even knew it was there.

At the moment it is being prepared for a full respray but will hopefully be "on the road" this year sometime when it will be towed by a 1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA, in fact the very same model of car as shown in the original Portafold brochure.

PS I am still looking for an original awning someone must have one somewhere!!!!

stuartbubbles

What do you tow yours with?

Post by stuartbubbles » Mon, 08 Jan 2007, 10:38 pm

Hi Guys - just joined the forum...

Believe it or not - I tow mine with a 1986 Citroen 2cv6 Charleston as it's the only car I have with a towbar...

I actually bought the Portafold for the World meeting of 2cv Friends in Scotland in 2005 - the thought of a week in a field in Scotland in a tent didn't thrill me - wasn't sure the 2cv would pull the Portafold - but manages it without much of a problem...

This year - the World meeting is in Sweden - seriously considering going with the Portafold - she got lots of attention at the WM in Scotland...

Stuart
Stuart